San Diego

San Diego Mormon Battalion Historic Site

About 500 men enlisted in the Mormon Battalion, and about 80 women and children traveled with them. They began their journey in the sweltering heat of Council Bluffs, Iowa, on July 20, 1846, leaving their loved ones behind. The battalion completed one of the longest infantry marches in American history— about 2,000 miles through what are now seven states and into Mexico. Visitors to this site will learn about the Mormon Battalion. 2510 Juan Street. (619-298-3317)



Chesterfield Historic Town Site

Chesterfield was first settled in 1879. Through the efforts of the Chesterfield Foundation, many historic buildings have been preserved or restored, including the original LDS meetinghouse, the amusement hall, tithing office, and tithing granary. Located 11 miles north on U.S. Highway 30, Bancroft, ID. (208-648-7177) or (208-648-7124)


Council Bluffs

Kanesville Tabernacle

This is a replica of the log building where Brigham Young was sustained as the second prophet and President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 222 E. Broadway. (712-322-0500)


Adair County Heritage Museum

A Mormon Trail Interpretive Panel near the main museum building tells the story of the Mormon trek through Adair County and includes a map of the migration route across Iowa. Additional Mormon Trail memorabilia is included in a display inside the museum’s main building. Located on the west edge of Greenfield, on the north side of Highway 92. (641-743-2232)

Mount Pisgah

Mount Pisgah Pioneer Cemetery

Mount Pisgah was established in southern Iowa as a temporary waystation for Mormon immigrants who crossed the Plains from 1846–1852. The call to fulfill positions in the Mormon Battalion came to Mount Pisgah. A monument here lists the names of many people who lost their lives at Mount Pisgah. 1704 Mount Pisgah Road, Thayer, IA. (641-763-2504)



Mormon Trail Center at Historic Winter Quarters

Thousands of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints spent the winter of 1846 to 1847 in the encampment they called Winter Quarters. The Center is adjacent to the Mormon Pioneer Cemetery, which is the final resting place of more than 325 Saints who died at Winter Quarters from illness, hunger, and poor living conditions. 3215 State Street. (402-453-9372)


Las Vegas

Old Mormon Fort

Several settlements were established in the 1850s between Salt Lake City and Pioneer Museums and Historical Sites California along the Mormon Corridor, including the short-lived Mormon Fort in Las Vegas. The Old Mormon Fort is now a State Historic Park. 500 E. Washington Ave. Open 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (702-486-3511)



Wilford Wood Museum

The museum was established and built by Wilford C. Wood. After his passing away, his wife, Lillian, and his two daughters continued his vision and mission of preserving the memory of Joseph Smith and the history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Tours are offered from late spring to early fall and are by appointment only. 3697 S. 550 W. (801-292-7676)

Castle Dale

Emery County Pioneer Museum

A fully stocked mercantile has been re-created with items that early settlers might have purchased. A lawyer’s office, schoolroom, and typical pioneer home are authentically re-created. 64 E. 100 N. (435-381-5154)

Cedar City

Iron Mission State Park and Museum

The story of development in Iron County. A diorama, based on descriptions of the original iron foundry, is on display. Displays also include a collection of horse-drawn vehicles used from 1870 to 1930. Just off I-15 on the northern side of Cedar City. (435-586-9290)


Pine Valley Chapel

This unique chapel was built in 1868. Peer into its attic, which was constructed to resemble an upside-down ship hull. Ebenezer Bryce used his shipbuilding experience to design the chapel. 8 miles east of Central on Pine Valley Road. (435-574-5181) (See article in Pioneer magazine 2010, vol. 57, no. 3, 35–36).

Cove Fort

Cove Fort Historic Site

In 1867, Brigham Young called Ira Hinckley and his family to direct the building and operations of the fort in order to offer protection and refreshment to the traveler. This is the only fort built by the Latter-day Saints in the 1800s that still stands. Northeast of the junction of I-15 and I-70. (435-438-5547)


Pioneer Village at Lagoon

Pioneer Village is the reconstruction of a typical frontier community as it might have existed in the late 1800s. This community consists of 42 authentic 19thcentury stores and buildings, as well as artifacts with which they might have been furnished. The original Pioneer Village was established by the Sons of Utah Pioneers in Salt Lake City and later relocated to Lagoon. Located just east of I-15 in Farmington. (801-451-8000)


Territorial Statehouse State Park Museum

Utah’s oldest existing governmental building now housing interpretive exhibits on the state’s political beginnings. Also exhibits paintings of early Utah artists. 50 West Capitol. (435-743-5316)


John Hutchings Museum of Natural History

Pioneer exhibits and other historical memorabilia. 55 N. Center Street. (801-768-7180)


Fort Buenaventura State Park

Fort Buenaventura brings back one of the most fascinating periods in Western American folklore, the Mountain Man era. The Fort has been recreated on the original site, and guides in period dress interpret the fort as well as the historical lifestyle of the Mountain Men and the Indians who inhabited the area. Authentic artifacts are also displayed. 2450 A Ave. (801-621-4808)


George A. Smith Pioneer Village

Operated by the Brigham Young chapter of the Sons of Utah Pioneers, the village includes seven historical structures. Located in Provo’s North Park on 500 W. and 600 N. Summer hours: 5–8 p.m. Monday, 4–7 p.m. Tuesday to Friday, Saturday 1–4 p.m. Special scheduling call (801-377-8295) or (801-375-9299). (See article in this issue, 16–18).

Salt Lake City

Beehive House

The Beehive House was built in 1854 and served as home to Brigham Young when he was President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and governor of Utah Territory. Now a National Historic Landmark, this home has been beautifully restored with furnishings of the period. 67 E. South Temple (801-240-2671)

Church History Museum

History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from its beginnings to the present day. Look into a covered wagon, climb into the bunk of an immigrant ship, learn about the pioneer trek in 1847 and the settlement of the Intermountain West. 45 N West Temple #200. (801-240-3310)

Mormon Pioneer Memorial Monument

Located at 140 East First Avenue, one block from Temple Square, are the gravesites of Brigham Young and others, including Eliza R. Snow, pioneer poetess. The centerpiece of this area is a monument honoring the 6,000 pioneers who lost their lives crossing the plains between 1847 and the advent of the railroad in 1869.

Pioneer Memorial Museum

The Pioneer Memorial Museum (also known as the DUP Museum) is noted as the world’s largest collection of artifacts on one particular subject, and it features displays and collections of memorabilia from the time the earliest settlers entered the Valley of the Great Salt Lake until the joining of the railroads at Promontory, Utah, on May 10, 1869. The Daughters of Utah Pioneers also has satellite museums located throughout Utah. The Pioneer Memorial Museum is located at 300 N. Main Street. (801-532-6479) (See the article in this issue, 4–13.)

This Is the Place Heritage Park
A premier living history attraction that preserves the heritage and history of Utah. The Park includes storied accounts of the settlement of the West, told by knowledgeable interpreters in a setting of original and replica historic buildings. 2601 East Sunnyside Ave. (801-582-1847)

Santa Clara

Jacob Hamblin Home

Built in 1862 by Mormon craftsmen for Jacob Hamblin, noted missionary to the Indians. The home is constructed of Ponderosa timbers from Pine Valley and local red sandstone. The building was home for Jacob Hamblin and his family and was also headquarters for his missionary work. Santa Clara Blvd. and Hamblin Drive. (435-673-5181)

Spanish Fork

Icelandic Monument

The first Icelandic immigrants to come to the United States were converts to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Between 1855 and 1914, there were 410 Icelanders who immigrated to Utah, the majority of whom settled in Spanish Fork, Utah. In 1938, the Daughters of Utah Pioneers and the Icelandic Association of Utah dedicated a lighthouse monument commemorating the first permanent Icelandic settlement in the United States. In June 2005, additions were made to the small park. 785 E. Canyon Road. Hours: Daylight to dark.

Stansbury Park

Restored Benson Gristmill

The mill mirrors the past with a log cabin, historic buildings, equipment, and a working blacksmith shop. This renovated mill was constructed by early Mormon pioneers and is listed on the National Historic Register. 325 Highway 138. Open May 1 through Oct. 31. Hours: Monday–Saturday 10:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m. (435-882-7878)

St. George

Brigham Young Winter Home

Built around 1873, this was the home of the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and governor of the provisional State of Deseret. Brigham Young spent the last winters of his life in the St. George area enjoying the warm weather and directing the building of the St. George Temple and Tabernacle. 67 W. 200 N. (435-673-2517)


Fielding Garr Ranch

Fielding Garr was assigned by the Mormon church to establish a ranch on Antelope Island as a stronghold for managing the Church tithing herds. The Church herds supported the Perpetual Emigration Fund, which assisted Mormon Church members from Europe in making the trek across the Great Plains. Take the Utah-108/Antelope Drive exit, Exit 332, from I-15. (801-554-9253)


Tooele Pioneer Museum Complex

Comprised of two distinct museums at one location with historic artifacts and antiquities by the Sons of Utah Pioneer and the Daughters of Utah Pioneers. 47 E. Vine Street. (435-882-0071) (See article this issue, 18–19.)


The American West Heritage Center

The Heritage Center is a nonprofit organization devoted to celebrating and preserving the heritage of Cache Valley, Utah, and its surrounding regions, primarily through living history activities, events, school programs, exhibits, and outreach activities. Located 6 miles south of Logan, on U.S. Hwy. 89/91. (435-245-4064)


Martin’s Cove

Experience a handcart trek much like the one pioneers endured over 150 years ago. Visit the Mormon Handcart Visitors Center and view exhibits recording the tragic circumstances of two handcart companies. Leaving late in the summer, they risked bad weather, exposure, and death in order to unite with the main body of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Off State Route 220 just west of Devil’s Gate. Summer hours: 8:00 a.m.–7:00 p.m. Winter hours: 9:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.