Utah – Beaver County
Fort Cameron (UPTLA #67)
Sponsor – Beaver Stake of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association
Location – 200 South Main Street
Fort Cameron was located two miles east of the city of Beaver. Established as the Post of Beaver, May 25, 1872 by Eighth U.S. Infantry, Major John D. Wilkins commanding. The military reservation, declared May 12, 1873, comprised two and two-thirds square miles. The name was changed July 1, 1874 to Fort Cameron, in honor of Col. James Cameron, who fell July 21, 1861 at the Battle of Bull Run. The post was abandoned May 1, 1883 and the improvements sold to John R. Murdock and Phiilo T. Farnsworth. The Beaver Branch of the Brigham Young Academy (later Brigham Young University) was conducted there from 1898 to 1922.
Lee's Ranch Indian Raid (UPTLA #68)
Sponsor – Beaver Stake of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1936
Location – 1300 South Main
Hostile Indians raided a small settlement in this vicinity October 27, 1866, centering their attack on the house where Mr. and Mrs. J. P. Lee, their two daughters and 8 year old son, a young Miss Hall and Joseph Lillywhite were barricaded. During the daylong battle, Lillywhite was seriously wounded. Lee killed three Indians, and the house was badly damaged, partly by firebrands. Miss Hall and the 8-year-old Lee son escaped and secretly journeyed by separate trails to Beaver to give the alarm. Militiamen were organized and sent to the rescue, but found the Indians had departed.