RURAL LOCATIONS

Big Mountain (UPTLA #24, SUP #3)
Sponsor  South Davis Chapter, 1984
Location  Pass at summit of little Emigration Canyon

On July 19, 1847, scouts Orson Pratt and John Brown climbed Big Mountain and became the first Latter-day Saints to see the Salt Lake Valley. Due to illness, the pioneer camp had divided into three small companies. On July 23, the last party led by Brigham Young reached Big Mountain, but by this time most of the first companies were already in the valley and planting crops. The ill-fated Donner Party blazed the original trail one year earlier.

Birch Springs (SUP #K4)
Sponsor  Sugar House Chapter, 1984

Bingham Settlement (UPTLA # 114)
Sponsor  Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1948
Location  This marker was moved from its original location in the city of Bingham and is now located at the Kennecott Copper Pit Visitor’s Center

Camp Grant (SUP #6)
Sponsor  Holladay & Potomac Chapters, 1985
Location  Utah Highway 65, beyond top end of Mountain Dell Reservoir

Dedicated to the Donner-Reed party—the first wagon train to cross the Wasatch Range from Henefer to the Salt Lake Valley in 1846—and to the Mormon Pioneers that followed. The “Gold Rush 49-ers,” the Overland Stage, Johnston’s Army, the Pony Express and thousands of emigrants traveled this route.

Camp Kostopulous (SUP #82)
Sponsor  Mills Chapter, 1996
Location  2500 E Emigration Canyon

Jordan Narrows (UPTLA #39)
Sponsor  Utah National Guard and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1934
Location  In Camp Williams, on Utah Avenue at the Officers' Club.

The "Jordan Narrows" is the "gateway" to Central Utah and on to California. The Narrows were formed by wave-action on the leeward arm of ancient Lake Bonneville. The route of the first settlers in central and southern Utah; of the government mail line to San Diego, 1854 to 1857; of the Overland Mail and Stage Line to San Francisco, 1858 to 1868; of the Pony Express Line, 1860 to 1861; and of the first transcontinental telegraph line, 1861 to 1868. Control and way stations on the overland stage and Pony Express route were about ten miles apart, many in view from this monument, were: Salt Lake City, Travelers Rest, Rockwell's, Joes Dugout and Fort Crittenden (originally named Camp Floyd). A celebrated Ute Indian Chief named Tintic led an attack on the early settlers of Lehi, between this monument and Utah Lake in February 1854, killing several men.

Little Mountain Summit (SUP #51)
Sponsor  Twin Peaks Chapter & Pioneer Trails State Park, 1992

This is the last summit in the Wasatch Mountains along the Pioneer Trail where the Donner Party passed on August 21, 1846 and the Mormons on July 21, 1847.

Memories at Mountain Dell (SUP #110.1)
Sponsor  Mills Chapter, 2001
Location  Mountain Dell Canyon, Utah, parking lot

The natural gorge which rests south of Big Mountain and the northwest slopes of Little Mountain was named Mountain Dell by Ephraim Hanks. In 1870, Francis Armstrong purchased the property at Mountain Dell, where it was used by the family as a summer farm. A farmhouse was built in 1882 that remained standing until July 1999.

BRIGHTON, UTAH

First Statewide Pioneer Day Celebration (UPTLA #14)
Sponsors  Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association and Cottonwood Stake, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1932
Location  Brighton, Utah, at the top of Big Cottonwood Canyon at Silver Lake.

This celebration was held in this mountain basin July 23-24, 1857. Headed by Brigham Young, the Company reaching here July 23rd numbered 2,587 persons, with 464 carriages & wagons, 1028 horses & mules and 332 oxen and cows. A program of addresses, six brass bands, singing, athletic events, drills by six companies of Militia, and dancing, was punctuated by salutes from a brass Howitzer. U.S. flags were flown from two highest peaks and two highest trees, the flag-tree in front of Brigham Young’s campsite being 70 feet northwest of here. At noon July 24, Judson Stoddard and A. O. Smoot, just arrived in the Valley, with Elias Smith and O. P. Rockwell, arrived with news of the advance of Johnston’s Army against the “Mormons”. The Company returned to their homes on July 25th.

DRAPER, UTAH

Rockwell Station (UPTLA #48)
Sponsor  Adult Aaronic Priesthood Group of East Jordan Stake and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1934. Later refurbished by SUP Temple Quarry Chapter.
Location  West of the Bluffdale Park and Ride, 14600 South and I-15
GPS – N 40° 29.162', W 111° 54.023'

The west-bound Pony Express riders proceeded south along today’s State Street to the next station south of the Utah State Prison. This was at Orrin Porter Rockwell’s Hot Springs Brewery Hotel—a popular stopping point for travelers. Rockwell kept the station on the Pony Express route from 1858–1868. A stone monument was constructed from stone from the old station and can be found at the south-east corner of the prison compound.

HERRIMAN, UTAH

  • Fort Herriman (UPTLA #32)
    Sponsors  Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, Daughters of Utah Pioneers, West Jordan District B.S.A., Members of West Jordan Stake and former residents, 1933.
    Location  12550 South 6000 West in Herriman, Utah.

    This monument marks the site of Fort Herriman built in 1855 by Thomas Butterfield, Henry Herriman, Samuel Egbert, Robert Petty and John Stocking, as protection against the Indians. The fort was abandoned in 1858, under instructions from Brigham Young, upon the approach of Johnston's Army. Some of the settlers returned a few years later and established the town of Herriman. The fort was named for Henry Herriman; Nearby Butterfield Canyon was named for Thomas Butterfield, pioneers of this area.

HOLLADAY, UTAH

  • 1st Settlers in Holladay (SUP #65)
    Sponsor  Holladay Chapter, 1994
    Location  4782 Holladay Blvd.

    This monument and plaque shows the original survey in 1849 with the names of the first settlers, and the leader of the settlers, John D. Holladay, as branch president.
     
  • Old Fort Site (SUP #B-1)
    Sponsor  Holladay Chapter, 1975
    Location  Olympus Jr. High, 2217 East 4800 South.

    During the Walker Indian War in 1853, 161 settlers on Big Cottonwood Creek built a fort at this location. The fort enclosed four acres, but was not needed as the Indians proved to be friendly.

MAGNA, UTAH

  • Early Magna Settlements (SUP #28)
    Sponsor  Oquirrh Mountain Chapter, 1993
    Location  Northeast of 4100 S. and 8400 W.

    Abraham Coon came to this area in 1853 and built a sawmill and tan-bark processing plant in the Oquirrh Mountains, later named Coon’s Canyon. At the mouth of the canyon his family started the farming community of Coonville—the first settlement on the west side of the valley. By 1860 more settlers arrived and established Pleasant Green. With the advent of the Utah Copper company in 1906, Coonville and Pleasant Green merged into the community of Magna.

MURRAY, UTAH

  • Mahonri Moriancumer Cahoon (SUP #84)
    Sponsor  Pioneer Heritage Chapter, 1998
    Location  Murray City Cemetery, 5600 S. 900 E.

    When Cahoon was born in 1834, his father, Reynolds Cahoon, asked Joseph Smith to give his newborn a name and a blessing. Smith gave him the name Mahonri Moriancumer Cahoon, explaining that although the name was not mentioned in the Book of Mormon’s book of Ether, it had just been revealed to him that Mahonri Moriancumer was the name of the brother of Jared. The Cahoon family came to Utah with the pioneers and eventually settled in the Murray area. The original wooden marker, which had deteriorated, was replaced with a permanent headstone.
     
  • Mt. Olympus Senior Center Flag Pole (SUP #89)
    Sponsor  Mills Chapter, 1998
    Location  Murray, Utah
     
  • Murray Mill (SUP #70)
    Sponsor  Oquirrh Mountain Chapter, 1994
     
  • Religious & Education Instruction
    Sponsor  Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1931
    Location  225 Gordon Lane at 250 East
    GPS  N 40ºº 40 ´ 37.7 seconds, W 111ºº 53 ´ 03.8 seconds

    The Inscription reads: To commemorate the first building in the Valley outside of Salt Lake City which was erected for the purpose of religious & education instruction.
     
  • South Cottonwood Campground (Half-way Camp) (SUP #33)
    Sponsor  Murray Chapter, 1990
    Location  5600 S. & Vine Street

    During the building of the Salt Lake Temple, when granite stones were being hauled by team and wagon the 20 miles from the Little Cottonwood Canyon quarry to the temple site, a stopover camp used by the drivers was established at South Cottonwood. This site was approximately halfway between the quarry and the temple grounds. In 1870 a rock granary was built and still remains standing today as a historical landmark.

RIVERTON, UTAH

  • Early Riverton and the Magnificent Dome Church (SUP #7 & 7a)
    Sponsor  Jordan River Temple Chapter, 1984
    Location  Riverton Park
    GPS  N 40 degrees 31 minutes 10.62 seconds, W 111 degrees 56 minutes, 072 seconds, elev. 4489 ft.

    In 1855, Abraham Hunsaker, a member of the Mormon Battalion, moved his herds across the river and became the first man to own land and divert water in Riverton. Archibald Gardner, however, was the first to live here and became the largest land owner.The first ward organized on August 8, 1886, began construction of a magnificent domed church in 1899, with Richard W. Kletting as the architect (also the architect for the Utah State Capitol and the old Saltair Pavilion). Because of its high ceilings, excessive maintenance and heating problems, it was razed in 1940, after 30 years of use.
     
  • The Tithing Yard (SUP #110.2)
    Sponsor  Mills Chapter, 2003
    Location  1150 W. 12400 S.
    GPS – N 40 degrees 31 minutes 32.58 seconds, W 111 degrees 55 minutes 30.90 seconds, elev. 4433 ft.

    In 1886 a “tithing yard” was established in Riverton where faithful Mormon Church members brought their tithing increase in produce, livestock, poultry, grains, and other farm products. On the bench ground there was an office building, weigh scales, a small granary, a large root cellar, haystacks, feed mangers, and a barn. It discontinued operation in 1913.

SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH

  • Anderson Tower (SUP #53)
    Sponsor  Canyon Rim Chapter, 1993
    Location  6th Avenue & A Street

    Anderson Tower was built in 1884 by Robert R. Anderson, one of the original settlers on the north bench of Salt Lake City. The circular three-story structure had a winding stairway that led to an observation deck equipped with a telescope. People were charged a small fee to climb to the top for the view. Although the venture proved unsuccessful, the tower stood for forty-eight years until razed in November, 1932.
     

  • Bee-Hive House (UPTLA #50)
    Sponsors  Young Men’s and Young Women’s Mutual Improvement Associations and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1935
    Location  67 East South Temple Street

    Erected about 1852 by President Brigham Young as the Official Residence of the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and occupied by him from the time it was completed until his death in 1877. From 1852 to 1855 it also served as the Executive Mansion of Governor Brigham Young of the Territory of Utah. It was also the home of presidents Lorenzo Snow(1898 – 1901) and Joseph F. Smith (1901 – 1918), both of whom died here. The Beehive is the State Emblem signifying industry.
     

  • Brigham Young Grave (UPTLA #78)
    Sponsors  The Young Men’s and Young Women’s Mutual Improvement Associations and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1938
    Location  150 East First Avenue

    Prophet – Pioneer – Statesman. Born June 1, 1801, at Whitingham, Vermont. Died August 29, 1877, at Salt Lake City, Utah. Brigham Young, second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, succeeded Joseph Smith, founder of the Church, who was martyred at Carthage, Illinois. He was chosen as leader of the people in 1844 and sustained as President of the Church December 27, 1847. Earlier in 1847 he led the Mormon Pioneers from Winter Quarters (Omaha, Nebraska) to the Salt Lake Valley, arriving here July 24. In 1849 he became Governor of the Provisional State of Deseret, and in 1850 Governor of the Territory of Utah.
     

  • Brigham Young Grave Statue (UPTLA #Z)
    Sponsor  Sons of Utah Pioneers, 1974
    Location  1st Avenue between State & A Street

    On June 1, 1974, an eight-foot bronze statue was unveiled at the small Brigham Young Cemetery on 1st Avenue. Sculpted by Edward J. Fraughton, the monument depicts a pioneer father, mother and daughter in an embrace.
     

  • Brigham Young Industrial Center and Golden Pass Road (SUP #43)
    Sponsor  Pioneer Heritage Chapter, 1992
    Location  2000 E. Stratford Avenue (2585 S.)

    The largest gristmill for grinding wheat in the Utah Territory operated from 1852–1857, when it was shut down because of the arrival of Johnston’s army. The mill reopened later as a cotton mill and then woolen mill.Parley P. Pratt’s Golden Pass Road provided not only a safer alternative entrance to the Salt Lake Valley but provided a route for hauling fuel and timber down to the valley.

    Between 1850–1869 thousands of Mormon pioneers, California-bound gold seekers, Pony Express riders, Overland Stage coaches and thousands of soldiers traveled the dirt road.
     

  • Brigham Young’s Office (UPTLA #52)
    Sponsor  Young Men’s and Young Women’s Mutual Improvement Associations and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1935
    Location  67 East South Temple Street.

    Erected about 1852 and, used as the executive office of the Territory of Utah until 1855. It also served as the headquarters of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from the time it was finished until 1917, when the new Church Office Building was completed. For a short time it was also the Church Tithing Office. Presidents of the Church who occupied this office were Brigham Young, 1852 – 1877; John Taylor, 1877 – 1887; Wilford Woodruff, 1887 – 1898; Lorenzo Snow, 1898 – 1901; Joseph F. Smith, 1901 – 1917.
     

  • Carlisle Family Historical Marker (SUP #98)
    Sponsor  Beehive Chapter, 2002
    Location  3900 S. 1400 W.The three Carlisle brothers settled in this area between 700 West and the Jordan River.

    Their endeavors included farming, dairying, and planting mulberry trees to raise silk worms. They developed a gravel pit on the west side of the river. The Carlisle School was built on their property and served students in the area from 1905 to 1923.
     

  • Donner Trail 1846 (UPTLA #7)
    Sponsor  Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1931
    Location  Utah State Fairgrounds 900 West North Temple Street.

    The Donner Party, led by George and Jacob Donner and James F. Reed, passed here and crossed the nearby Jordan River about September 2, 1846. This party, consisting of 81 persons –35 of them children — was delayed 2 weeks building a road via Emigration Canyon. While crossing the Great Salt Lake Desert, they lost some wagons and many animals. As a result of this misfortune and the delays en route, the party became snowbound in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, where many of them perished that winter.
     

  • Emigration Canyon Railroad (SUP #29)
    Sponsor  Canyon Rim Chapter, 1990
    Location  Hogle Zoo Entrance

    One of the major sources of stone building materials needed by the people of Salt Lake City was in Emigration Canyon, east of the city. An electric railway to the canyon was built in 1909 to provide a ready source of limestone, gravel, red sandstone and white sandstone. Soon passenger trips were in demand and weekend trips into the canyon became popular. By 1916 the service was terminated and the rails, ties, spikes, and rolling equipment were turned into materials to aid in the World War I effort.
     

  • Ensign Peak (UPTLA #43)
    Sponsor  Ensign Stake Mutual Improvement Associations and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1934
    Location  100 East 1000 North Street, Ensign Vista Dr., Salt Lake City.

    July 26, 1847, two days after the Mormon Pioneers entered this valley, Brigham Young and party climbed to this point and with the aid of field glasses made a careful survey of the mountains, canyons and streams. In the group were Heber C. Kimball, Wilford Woodruff, George A. Smith, Ezra T. Benson, Willard Richards, Albert Carrington and William Clayton. Wilford Woodruff, first to ascend the Peak, suggested it as a fitting place to “set up an Ensign” (Isaiah 11:12). It was then named Ensign Peak. Subsequently the Stars and Stripes were raised here.
     

  • First Company of Mormon Pioneers
    Sponsor  Twin Peaks Chapter, 1987
    Location  Pioneer State Park, 2601 Sunnyside Avenue

    This monument lists the names of the members of the first company of pioneers to enter the valley.
     

  • Gardener’s Sawmill (UPTLA #57)
    Sponsors  Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, The Gardner Family and the Priesthood of Wilford Ward, 1935
    Location  3550 South Highland Drive.

    Gardner’s Saw Mill was erected by Robert Gardner and his sons Archibald, Robert and William on Warm Springs Stream, in Salt Lake City October 1847. The Mill was moved to this new site in 1848, producing the first commercial lumber in Utah, using the first formal grant of water for industrial use. Later a flour mill was erected a few rods upstream. These plants gave the name Mill Creek to the stream and canyon. Gardner’s Fort, domicile of the Gardner families, was located a short distance northeast. The Gardners had received the first permit to leave the pioneer fort.
     

  • Great Salt Lake Base and Meridian (UPTLA #12)
    Sponsors  Mutual Improvement Association of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1932
    Location  Northwest corner of Main and South Temple Streets, at the northeast corner of Temple Square.
    GPS  40° 46′ 04″ – Longitude 111° 54′ 00″ Elivation 4327.27 feet.

    This geographic location was fixed by Orson Pratt assisted by Henry G. Sherwood on August 3, 1847, when beginning the original survey of “Great Salt Lake City.” The Temple Site near here had been designated by Brigham Young July 28, 1847. The City streets were named and numbered from this point. David H. Burr, first U.S. Surveyor-General for Utah, in August 1855, located here the initial point of public land surveys in Utah, and set the stone monument, still preserved in position. An astronomical station, its stone base still standing 100 ft. N. and 50 ft. W. of this corner was established by George W. Dean, U. S. C. & G. Survey, on September 30, 1869. This was used to determine the true latitude and longitude, and was used to obtain correct time at this point until December 30, 1897.
     

  • Heber C. Kimball Grist Mill (SUP #J)
    Sponsor  East Mill Creek Chapter, 1957
     

  • Jordan/Salt Lake Canal (SUP #39)
    Sponsor  Canyon Rim Chapter, 1991
    Location  Sugarhouse Plaza
     

  • “Leaning into the Light,” Joseph Smith, the Boy
    Sponsor  Sons of Utah Pioneers, 1997
    Location  Joseph Smith Memorial Building
     

  • Legacy of Black Pioneers (SUP #16)
    Sponsor  Beehive Chapter, 1987
    Location  Evergreen Park, 2230 East Evergreen Avenue (3435 S.)
     

  • The Lion House (UPTLA #51)
    Sponsors  Young Men’’s and Young Women’’s Mutual Improvement Associations and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1935
    Location  63 East South Temple, SLC

    Built by President Brigham Young and used by him as a residence from about 1855 until his death in 1877. On the lower floor were the dining room and kitchens. On the next floor were the living rooms and large parlor; and on the top floor were the bedrooms. It was in this house that President Young died. Later the building was used for school purposes and as a social center for women and girls. The lion is a replica of one that occupied a similar position on a prominent home in Vermont, the State where President Young was born and spent his youth.
     

  • Old Brickyard Chimney (SUP #54)
    Sponsor  Beehive Chapter, 1994
    Location  3300 S. 1300 E.
     

  • Old Folk’s Day (UPTLA #65)
    Sponsors  Old Folks Committees, Cambrian Society of Salt Lake City, Inc., Covered Wagon Days, Inc., and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association
    Location  Northwest corner of Main and South Temple streets.

    “Honor thy Father and Thy Mother.” Old Folks Day was inaugurated in Salt Lake City in 1875, by Charles R. Savage, assisted by Edward Hunter, Presiding Bishop of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and George Goddard. All persons seventy or more years of age have been honored at annual celebrations in many communities in Utah.
     

  • Pioneer Flour Mill Site (UPTLA #64, SUP #K, SUP #138)
    Sponsors  Descendants of John Neff Sr., East Mill Creek Betterment League and the Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1936. Rebuilt by SUP Mills Chapter, 2007
    Location  2700 East & Evergreen Ave. (3435 South) SLC
    GPS – N 40° 41′ 47.9″, W 111° 48′ 55.0"

    445 feet west of this monument is the site of the Pioneer Flour Mill erected in the spring of 1848 by John Neff, 1847 Pioneer. The burrs were bought by him at Winter Quarters from Brigham Young at whose request they were brought to Utah. The granite block in the monument is part of one of the mill stones. The mill began operations in March,1848, and was the first in the valley to produce refined flour. The builder, noted for his humanitarianism, refused $1.00 a pound for flour, from emigrants to California, selling it to the needy poor at 6 cents a pound and frequently giving it to those unable to buy.
     

  • Pioneer Telegraph Office (SUP #D)
    Sponsor  Sons of Utah Pioneers, 1955
    Location  Main Street & 1st South

    The famed sculptor Ortho Fairbanks in 1955 created this marker located at the spot where the transcontinental telegraph lines were connected October 18, 1861. During the Downtown Salt Lake City renovations in 2007, this marker was placed in temporary storage.
     
  • Private School House (UPTLA #35)
    Sponsor  Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1934
    Location  Northeast corner of South Temple and State Streets.

    Built by Brigham Young for his own children, the school house stood on this corner lot from 1860 to 1903. This early school was directed by Eli B. Kelsey, who in soliciting additional students, announced in the Deseret News December 12, 1860, as follows: "President Young not only intends it to be used for the education of own family during the day, but purposes it to be thoroughly devoted to further educational purposes in the evenings, including the teaching of vocal music. Mr. David O. Calder will open therein two classes for young persons of both sexes, in order that a competent number may be thoroughly taught this simple and beautiful science, so that a uniform system of teaching may be adopted throughout all the schools of the territory. The produce of the valley will be taken in payment for tuition."
     
  • Sisters of the Holy Cross (UPTLA #18)
    Sponsors  Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association and the Catholic People of Utah, 1932
    Location  1075 East 100 South Street.

    In June 1875, in answer to the appeal of the Rev. Lawrence Scanlan, two Sisters of the Holy Cross, Mother M. Augusta and Sister M. Raymond, came to Salt Lake City. In August they were joined by Sisters M. Pauline, Anna, Josepha, Holy Innocents, and Petronella, and in September they opened St. Mary's Academy at 152 South First West Street. In October of the same year Sisters M. Holy Cross, Bartholomew, and Bernard opened Holy Cross Hospital at 50 South Fifth East Street. The Hospital was established on the present site in 1882. The College and Academy of St. Mary-of-the-Wasatch and Holy Cross Hospital stand today as monuments to mark the trail of these pioneer sisters.
     
  • Social Hall (UPTLA #20)
    Sponsor  The Young Men's and Young Ladies' Mutual Improvement Associations and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1933
    Location  51 South State Street - Social Hall Ave.

    Dedicated January 1, 1853, this monument marks the site of the Social Hall, the first recreation center in the intermountain west. It was built by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints under the direction of Brigham Young. Made of plastered adobe walls with native wood floors and roof. Auditorium 40 by 60 feet, seating 350 persons. Stage 20 by 40 feet. Dressing rooms and banquet hall were in the basement. Here the Deseret Dramatic Association conducted many home talent theatricals, musicals and other festivities. Sessions of the Legislature, official meetings, receptions, banquets, and other social functions were held here. It was used as theatre, library and gymnasium by the Mutual Improvement Associations. In 1922 the building was razed.
     
  • Sugarhouse Industrial Center (SUP #S-1)
    Sponsor  Sugar House Chapter, 1992
    Location  Sugarhouse
     
  • Utah Penitentiary (SUP #17)
    Sponsors  Sugar House Chapter, Sons of Utah Pioneers, Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Sugar House Community Council, Utah Peace Officers Associations, & The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1988
    Location  Sugarhouse Park

    The first buildings of the Utah Penitentiary, surrounded by a 12-foot wall, were occupied in January 1855—6 safe miles from the center of the city. The first warden, Albert Perry Rockwood, reported that escapes were frequent because of poor facilities and lack of guards. By 1882, the prison included 244 steel cells, a 250 capacity chapel and a new 19- foot wall enclosing two acres. After World War II the growth of the city to the south and east made it imperative to construct the prison facility in a more isolated area, at the Point of the Mountain (1951).
     
  • Wilford Woodruff’’s Farm 1850 (SUP #137)
    Sponsor  Holladay Chapter, 2008
    Location  1604 South 500 East, Salt Lake City

    Wilford Woodruff’’s Farm was 20 acres located between Kensington Ave. (about 1500 South) and 1700 South and from 300 East to 500 East. This rich farmland was irrigated with water from Parleys Creek and Emigration Creek. Wilford Woodruff farmed here for over 45 years, providing for his family. He also grew numerous experimental crops. His journal makes reference to wheat, potatoes, cotton, sugar cane, melons, currants, madden, indigo, strawberries, apples, grapes, and “bushels of crickets”. He was one of the first pioneer settlers of the Salt Lake Valley and was the fourth President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

PARLEY'S HOLLOW

(From Tanner Park, 2700 East 2700 South, Salt Lake City).

This historic area on Parleys Creek, at the mouth of Parleys Canyon was very significant to the earliest pioneer immigrants and settlers of the Valley.

  • Dudler's Inn (SUP #75)
    Sponsor  Canyon Rim Chapter, 1996
    Location  2700 E. 2700 S., south of Interstate 80 near the mouth of Parleys Canyon.

    In 1864 Joseph Dudler settled in Parley’s Hollow. He built a two and half story Inn and home with a narrow front facing south with the rest of the ground floor dug into the side of the hill on the north of the hollow.
  • Dudler's Inn Wine Cellar (SUP #80)
    Sponsor  Jordan River Temple Chapter, 1996
    Location  2700 E. 2700 S., south of Interstate 80 near the mouth of Parleys Canyon.

    In 1870 Dudler added a brewery to the rear and west of his Inn and expanded the lower floor north four feet into the hill for the wine cellar. This rock-walled underground room has a ten-foot high domed rock ceiling and kept things cool even in the hottest weather. Dudler’s brewery and Inn at Parley’s Hollow was known for a time as Dudler’s Summer Resort and Dudler’s Saloon.
     
  • Golden Pass Road & Tollhouse (SUP #76)
    Sponsor  Sugar House Chapter, 1996
    Location  2700 E. 2700 S., south of Interstate 80 near the mouth of Parleys Canyon.

    Built by Parley P. Pratt, the “Golden Pass” opened to travelers on July 4, 1849, providing a much easier route down Emigration Canyon. To help pay for the road, a toll gate was erected just west of the mouth of the canyon on the north side of the creek. The toll was listed as:“75 cts for each conveyance drawn by two animals, and 10 cts for each additional draught, pack or saddle animal, etc. and 1 ct for each sheep.” This route eventually became part of the Lincoln Highway and much later, the I-80 freeway.
     
  • Railroad, Park City to Sugarhouse (SUP #78)
    Sponsor  Pioneer Heritage Chapter, 1996
    Location  2700 E. 2700 S., south of Interstate 80 near the mouth of Parleys Canyon.

    On June 11, 1874, the Eastern Utah Railroad built a narrow gauge rail line from Coalville south to the Park City mines. By 1890, the Salt Lake Eastern Railroad company completed the line from Salt Lake City to the Park City mines. In 1900, the Rio Grand Railroad Company took over the lines through Parley’s Canyon to Park City. The line through Parley’s Canyon serviced freight trains as well as passengers from Sugar House until the 1940s.
     
  • Sandstone Wall & Aqueduct (SUP #77)
    Sponsor  Olympus Hills Chapter, 1996
    Location  2700 E. 2700 S., south of Interstate 80 near the mouth of Parleys Canyon.

    Parley’s Creek was the largest of five streams which flowed from the Wasatch Mountains into Parley’s Canyon. Ditches were dug, but it was determined that if walls were built with a conduit running along it’s top—similar to those built by the ancient Romans on a smaller scale—water could be lifted up to the plateaus on the north and south sides of the hollow. In 1891, the walls of the aqueduct were built of sandstone blocks cut from the mountain’s cliffs. Only a small section remains of the forty-foot high masonry where it cut across a ravine with an arch laid up to allow for the water to drain.
     
  • Suicide Rock & Reservoir (SUP #79)
    Sponsor  Holladay Chapter, 1996
    Location  Mouth of Parley’s Canyon

    For hundreds of years this huge formation of red sandstone rock loomed up in the middle of the mouth of the canyon and served as a watch tower for the Indians. Legend tells of an Indian maid watching for the return of her warrior husband from battle, saw his body draped over his pony, and in her grief threw herself off the top of the rock to her death. Hence the name of Suicide Rock has been attached to this rock formation for over 150 years.

SONS OF THE UTAH PIONEERS NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS 3301 East 2920 South, Salt Lake City.

 

  • 1997 Sesquicentennial Trekkers (Plaque) (SUP #136)
    Sponsor  Trek Members, 2007
    Location  Sons of Utah Pioneers, Heritage Hall

    In 1997, one hundred sixty-eight people, representing the first company of pioneers, retraced the original pioneer trail of 150 years ago. They commenced the exodus from Nauvoo, Illinois of 1846, and followed the original company’s from Winter Quarters in Florence, Nebraska, to the valley of the Great Salt Lake in 1847. The Trek participants are listed on the plaque.
     

  • B&K Tannery (Plaque) (SUP #4B)
    Sponsor  Beehive Chapter, 1986
    Location  Sons of Utah Pioneers Building Balcony

    The B&K Tannery, was established in 1852 by Brigham Young, Feramorz Little and John Winder. By 1862, the Tannery was producing quality leather. A small settlement was built nearby to accommodate the tannery workers, including a school for the children. Eventually the railroad brought in cheaper produced leather.
     

  • Brighton Hotel (Plaque) (SUP #4I)
    Sponsor  Holladay Chapter, 1988
    Location  Sons of Utah Pioneers Building Balcony

    In 1871, William S. Brighton claimed over 100 acres at the top of Big Cottonwood Canyon. William and Catherine built the first hotel there in 1874. Later they added cottages, the original Brighton store, a post office, a telephone service, a dairy service, freight haulage, a bakery and a sawmill. The hotel was razed in 1945.
     

  • Charles Stillman Bridge (Plaque) (SUP #4F)
    Sponsor  Holladay Chapter, 1987
    Location  Sons of Utah Pioneers Building Balcony

    The Stillman Bridge erected in 1938, spanned Parley’s Gully, tying Wasatch Boulevard to Parley’s Canyon Road. Named after Charles Stillman, Salt Lake County Commissioner of Roads and Bridges from 1918 to 1922, the bridge stood in operation until the new four lane highway was built through Parley’s Canyon.
     

  • Early Pioneer Mills (Plaque) (SUP #4A)
    Sponsor  East Mill Creek Mills Chapter, 1984
    Location  Sons of Utah Pioneers Building Balcony

    Gardner, Neff, and Osguthorpe were the names of three of the twenty-two mills along Millstream.
     

  • Ensign Peak (Plaque) (SUP #4C)
    Sponsor  East Mill Creek Chapter, 1986
    Location  Sons of Utah Pioneers Building Balcony

    After arriving in the Valley on Saturday, July 24, 1847, the weary Saints observed the Sabbath the following day. Then on Monday morning, almost too late in the season, they resumed the critical work of planting crops and irrigating them from the mountain streams. Although their leader, Brigham Young, was still suffering from mountain fever, he directed that construction of homes and public buildings, and exploration work and be started immediately. He himself headed a party which left about 10 o’clock a.m. with Heber C. Kimball, Willard Richards, Wilford Woodruff, George A. Smith, Ezra T. Benson, Albert Carrington and William Clayton. They climbed the prominent hill to the north of the new city, which commanded an expansive view of the valley and the Great Salt Lake below. As they planted their feet on the top of the peak, President Young remarked “This is a good place to raise an ensign.” Thus, that day Ensign Peak received the name it still bears, which signifies the coming of the Savior to reign over the whole earth — an ensign raised to all nations and all people. For some time, before suitable buildings were provided, Brigham and other leaders often repaired to the top of Ensign Peak for council meetings and special prayers for the welfare of their people, as they struggled against great odds to establish themselves in their Zion.
     

  • Flagpole at SUP Headquarters Bldg.
    Sponsors  Individual donors and the following Chapters: Box Elder, Brigham Young, Buena Ventura, Eagle Rock, Glendora, Hole-in-Rock, Mills, Ogden Pioneer, Settlement Canyon, South Davis, Squaw Peak, Temple Quarry, The Mountain Valley, and Twin Peaks, June 17, 2000.
     

  • Golden Pass Road (Plaque) (SUP #4)
    Sponsor  Salt Lake City Chapter, 1984
    Location  Sons of Utah Pioneers Building Balcony

    Parley P. Pratt cut the road through Parley's Canyon in 1849-50 as an alternative route to the Emigration Canyon pioneer trail into the valley. The beginning (or end) of this road was about Twenty-First South and Eleventh East; it continued eastward to what was called Dell Fork. The new road opened up the Parley's Hollow area and the canyon above to industry, farming and recreation, and soon became the preferred route into the Valley. To defray the cost of construction a toll for passage was charged, as described on the plaque.
     
  • Handcart Companies (Plaque) (SUP #4G)
    Sponsor  Olympus Hills Chapter, 1987
    Location  Sons of Utah Pioneers Building Balcony

    On June 9, 1856, the first Mormon Handcart Company left Iowa City with 52 handcarts and 275 people. During the spring and summer four other companies started the perilous journey. Several others followed, nearly 3,000 souls in ten companies until 1860, when this unprecedented experiment in low cost emigration was discontinued. All these companies suffered hardships, scarce food, bad roads over hills and mountains, adverse weather conditions and other problems. But for the most part, these heroic journeys were very successful, with no greater incidence of illness or loss of life than other pioneering companies experienced. Two tragic exceptions were the very large Martin and Willie companies totaling nearly 1100 souls, which left Iowa City too late in the summer of 1856, with marginal equipment, then encountered severe winter weather which arrived with a vengeance earlier than usual. Many emigrants of all ages and sexes died of hunger, fatigue and exposure before valiant rescuers sent by Brigham Young found them. The emaciated survivors were brought safely into the Valley late in November and early December.
     
  • Horace A. Sorensen - Plaque (SUP #4L)
    Sponsor  Sugar House Chapter, 1988
    Location  Sons of Utah Pioneers Building Heritage Hall

    This bust of Mr. and Mrs. Sorensen pays tribute to the many contributions of Horace Sorensen, national president of the sons of Utah Pioneers from 1954-56. He was an active collector of Pioneer artifacts and organized a replica Pioneer Village, which he presented to the SUP in 1953. First located in Salt Lake City, the village was later relocated to the Lagoon amusement park in Farmington, Utah. Horace Sorensen received Brigham Young University's "Many Feathers" award. The University of Utah named him "Man of the Year," in 1969.
     
  • Kanyon Kreek Mill (Plaque) (SUP #4H)
    Sponsor  Holladay Chapter, 1988
    Location  Sons of Utah Pioneers Building Balcony

    Built by Brigham Young and Feramorz Little, Kanyon Creek Mill occupied a site where the Country Club Golf Course now is located. The mill was used as a flour mill, cotton mill and woolen mill. During the smallpox epidemic of 1900, the mill was used as a pest house. Because the creek—a major source of culinary water for the city—ran past the pest house, protests eventually resulted in the old mill mysteriously burned to ruins.
     
  • Lambs Canyon (Plaque) (SUP #64)
    Sponsor  Canyon Rim Chapter, 1994
    Location  Sons of Utah Pioneers Building Balcony

    Lambs Canyon was explored shortly after the Utah Pioneers entered Salt Lake Valley in 1847. A cooper, Abel Lamb, built the first road in the draw in 1850, over which he and his sons hauled wood from the canyon forests to make barrels, tubs, washboards, churns, and water buckets which were sorely needed by the settlers in valley. The Lamb family built a home in the canyon. When food was scarce, they lived on sego roots, pigweed and beet-top greens.
     
  • Overland Stage (Plaque) (SUP #4D)
    Sponsor  Canyon Rim/Heritage Chapter, 1986
    Location  Sons of Utah Pioneers Building Balcony

    In 1860, W. H. Russell of Pony Express fame joined Hockaday & Liggett as a business partner, bringing modern innovations to the Stage Coach Company. He placed relay stations every 10–12 miles, with fresh horses or mules at each station. He assigned new drivers every 80 miles, and cut the travel time to 10 days. He also had stage coaches leaving daily, traveling in either direction, carrying mail in addition to passengers. In March 1862, the stage coach line was purchased by Ben Holliday, a Salt Lake City resident, and extended the routes into many small towns and mining camps. At the pinnacle, there were 5,000 miles of stage coach line in operation, extending from the Missouri River to the Pacific Ocean, and into Idaho, Montana and Oregon.
     
  • Mormon Pioneer Trail, Centennial Trekkers (Plaque) (SUP #4-f)
    Sponsor – Trek Members, 1987
    Location  Sons of Utah Pioneers, Heritage Hall

    In 1947, a centennial motorized Mormon Pioneer Trek occurred with 148 descendants of the Utah Pioneers reenacted the flight of the latter-day Saints from Nauvoo, Illinois in 1846 and on to the Salt Lake Valley in 1847. In 1987 a commemorative plaque of the Trek was unveiled by Camilla E. Kimball at SUP National headquarters. Pictured on the plaque are Camilla and Spencer W. Kimball (quests of the trek) standing on top of Independence Rock looking down at the circle of modern prairie schooners.
     
  • Pioneer Industry (SUP #e-1)
    Sponsor  Oquirrh Mountain, 1982
    Location  Sons of Utah Pioneers Building, 3301 E. 2920 S.

    This handsome marble monument erected at SUP headquarters pays tribute to the pioneers who established industries in the Parley’s canyon area necessary to the welfare the early settlers.
     
  • Willard Richards (Plaque) (SUP #4E)
    Sponsor  Lynn S. Richards, 1986
    Location  Sons of Utah Pioneers Building Balcony

    Willard Richards was converted to the LDS Church when introduced to the Book of Mormon by his cousin Brigham Young. He was ordained an apostle of the LDS Church in 1840. He served the church in many capacities, including “The Keeper of the Rolls,” General of the Nauvoo Legion, and editor for several Church publications, including the Deseret News. He was with Joseph and Hyrum Smith when they were murdered in Carthage jail. He arrived in the Salt Lake Valley with Brigham Young in 1847, and died in 1854 at the age of 49.

THIS IS THE PLACE HERITAGE PARK

  • Angels Are Near Us (SUP #96)
    Sponsor  Sugarhouse Chapter, 1998
    Location  This Is the Place Heritage Park, 2601 East Sunnyside Avenue. Near the large “This is the Place” monument.

    This marker commemorates the wagon train sesquicentennial re-enactment in 1997, of the original trek of the Mormon Pioneers in 1847, from Winter Quarters near Omaha, Nebraska to the Valley of the Great Salt Lake. The commemorative trek occurred from April 21 to July 22, 1997.
     
  • Bodil Mortensen Statue (SUP #150)
    Sponsor – Bountiful Chapter 2009
    Location – This is the Place Heritage Park, 2601 Sunnyside Ave. SLC

    “Bodil” – Symbol of the children who walked -- Willey Handcart Company. When the exhausted Jens and Elsie Nielsen made it to Rock Creek, a 9 year old Danish girl, Bodil Mortensen, who was traveling with them, went in search of dead sagebrush branches, the only firewood available. The Nielsens were so exhausted that when they managed to get their tent up they failed to notice that Bodil hadn’t made it back. The next morning they found Bodil’s tired, emaciated body resting against the cart wheel frozen to death still clutching an armful of firewood. The Nielsen’s son, Neil, also died during the night. Nine other members of the Willey group died that night and are all buried in a common grave.
     
  • Eyes Westward Statue (SUP #140)
    Sponsor  Sons of Utah Pioneers, National
    Location  At Main entrance, This is the Place Heritage Park

    Though it was Brigham Young who led the Latter-day Saints westward to safety from mob persecution in Illinois, Brigham was carrying out the vision of the Prophet Joseph Smith, who had declared, “My people shall become a mighty host in the vastness of the Rocky Mountains.” This heroic bronze sculpture is a replica of an identical work erected in 2005 on the banks of the Mississippi River in Nauvoo, Illinois. It depicts Joseph and Brigham standing on the riverbank with a map of the westward trek that Joseph had seen in vision before his martyrdom in 1844.
     
  • This is the Right Place (SUP #129)
    Sponsor  Refurbished by Mills Chapter, 2007.
    Location  This is the Place Heritage Park, 2601 Sunnyside Avenue.

    This historic monument was re-dedicated on July 21, 2007 by Elder Boyd K. Packer of the LDS Church. The ten foot high obelisk marks the spot where, on July 24, 1847, Brigham Young uttered his famous words, "This is the right place; drive on." Thus, the heroic advance company of the Mormon Pioneers concluded their epic 1,300 mile trek across the American prairie to their Zion in the mountains. At the dedication ceremony for the original monument, on July 25, 1921, Elder B. H. Roberts of the LDS First Council of Seventy, quoting from the journal of Church President Wilford Woodruff, stated that Brigham Young spoke those memorable words "on or near the spot where we now stand."

UTAH STATE CAPITOL

350 North Main Street

  • Brigham Young Bust (SUP #I)
    Sponsor  Sons of Utah Pioneers, 1956
    Location  Utah State Capitol, 350 N. Main Street

    Sponsored by the Sons of Utah Pioneers, beloved Utah Norwegian sculptor, Torleif S. Knaphus created a bronze bust of President Brigham Young that was placed at the rotunda of the State Capitol on July 24, 1956.
     
  • Daniel C. Jackling Statue (SUP #F)
    Sponsor  Sons of Utah Pioneers, 1955
    Location  Utah State Capitol, 350 N. Main Street

SANDY, UTAH

  • Early Sandy Schools & Church Takes Root in Sandy (SUP #11)
    Sponsor  Temple Quarry Chapter, 1986
    Location  8781 S. 250 E.

    Honors Sandy’s pioneer schools, churches, and their leaders. The first school building was built in Sandy in 1881.
     
  • Half-Way House, State Street (SUP #26)
    Sponsor  Temple Quarry Chapter, 1990
    Location – 9350 S State Street, Sandy, Utah

    Built in 1859, the Milo Andrus “Half Way House” was a comfortable and convenient two-story pioneer inn. It was one of several inns built along South State Street in the 1850–80 period to care for the many south and north-bound travelers. The Andrus inn became known as the “Half Way House” because it was located midway between “Travelers Rest” and 6400 South State and Porter Rockwell’s layout near the Point of the Mountain. The structure was moved in 1980 to the Pioneer Trails State Park in Salt Lake City.
     
  • Neff’s Station (SUP #27)
    Sponsor  Temple Quarry Chapter, 1990
    Location  9350 S State Street, Sandy, Utah

    The Benjamin Barr Neff farm became known as “Neff’s Station at Dry Creek” or just “Neff’s Station” after Deseret Telegraph established an office there in 1871. Mary Ellen Love Neff, 20-year-old wife of Benjamin, operated the station. The Neff farm was an ideal location for the telegraph station because the north-south lines connecting Salt Lake City and east-west lines connecting Alta and Bingham, crossed at that point. With the coming of the cross-valley railroad through the Sandy area in 1873, the telegraph station was moved to that community.
     
  • Old Chapel
    Sponsor  Murray Chapter, 1992
     
  • Temple Granite Quarry (UPTLA #49)
    Sponsor  Temple Quarry Chapter, 2004
    Location  Mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon, Trailhead Park

    Originally dedicated in 1934, this monument has been moved and refurbished. Temple building blocks were extracted from the huge granite boulders located on the canyon floor. The cut stones were then hauled about twenty miles to the Salt Lake Temple site and finished before placement. The quarrying began in 1862 and was finished in 1893.
     
  • Union Fort (UPTLA #109)
    Sponsors  Union Lions Club, American Legion, Daughter of the Utah Pioneers, and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1947 
    Location  1250 East 7200 South.

    Early in 1849 the pioneers settled Union 1½ miles southeast of here. The name "Union" was suggested by William McGuire, schoolteacher, to emphasize the unity existing among the Saints. Water, grass, wood and clay were abundant. Silas Richards, the first Bishop and school teacher, arrived November 4, 1849. In 1853-54 Union Fort was built on ten acres donated by Jehl Cox. The wall made of rocks and adobes with clay mortar was 6 feet thick at the base, 2 feet at the top and 12 feet high. It enclosed 23 homes and a school used also as a church and amusement hall. The wall ran north and south 25 feet west of this marker.
     
  • Union Pioneer Cemetery (SUP #j-1)
    Sponsor  Union Fort, 1984
    Location  1455 E. Creek Road
    GPS  N 40° 36' 34.9" ; W 111° 50' 55.4"

TAYLORSVILLE, UTAH

  • Archibald Gardner Mill (SUP #73)
    Sponsor  Taylorsville/Bennion Chapters, 1995
    Location  665 Sunstone Road (4800 South)

    About 1880, Archibald Gardner built a water powered burr mill. In 1885 it was converted into one of the first and finest roller mills in the valley, owned and operated by the Bennion family of Taylorsville. Destroyed by fire in 1909.
     
  • Bennion Ward Memorial
    Sponsor  Taylorsville/Bennion Chapters, 1995
    Location  6134 S. Jordan Canal Road (1850 W.)

    Names the servicemen of the Bennion Ward who served or died for their country during World War I. It was originally placed in the Chapel at Redwood Road and 6200 South.
     
  • Early Bennion History (SUP #K2)
    Sponsor  Jordan River Temple Chapter, 1984
     
  • Early Settlers (SUP #13)
    Sponsor – Taylorsville/Bennion Chapters, 1986
    Location  1365 W. 4800 S.

    After many hours of research at Church Archives, chapter members acquired the names of over 300 pioneers who settled on the westside of the Jordan River. The names were placed in a stainless steel box inside the monument and a copy of the names is available at the SUP library.
     
  • Millrace (SUP #117)
    Sponsor  Taylorsville/Bennion Chapters, 2005
    Location  Millrace Park, 1100 W. 5400 S.

    In 1855, upon the council of Brigham Young, Joseph Harker with John and Samuel Bennion hand-dug a lower ditch to irrigate the farmland on the river bottoms west of the Jordan River. A small rock dam was constructed at about 6300 South. In 1880, a new
    grist mill was constructed on the Jordan River near 4800 South and water from the “Lower Ditch” powered the mill.
     
  • Old School House (SUP #9 & 50)
    Sponsor  Taylorsville/Bennion Chapters, 1986, 1992
    Location  6200 S. Redwood Road

    On this site in 1905 stood a red brick building called the 64th District School House. The name of the school changed three times and was eventually sold to the LDS church in 1921.
     
  • Pioneer Cemetery (SUP #Q-1)
    Sponsor  Taylorsville/Bennion Chapters, 1991
    Location  4575 S Jordan River Pkwy, Taylorsville, Utah
     
  • Route of Johnston’s Army (SUP #K3)
    Sponsor  Taylorsville/Bennion Chapter, 1984
     
  • Servicemens Memorial – Bennion Community 
    Location  4500 S. Jordan River
    Sponsor  Taylorsville/Bennion Chapter, 2001

    List the names of servicemen from the Taylorsville/ Bennion area who gave their lives in World Wars I & II.
     
  • Taylorsvile–Bennion Cemetery & Cemetery Flagpole (SUP #61 & 62)
    Sponsor  Taylorsville/Bennion Chapters, 1993
    Location – 4575 S. Redwood Road

    Erected in memory of the early area setters.
     
  • Welsh Settlement (SUP #132)
    Sponsor  Taylorsville/Bennion Chapter, 2007
    Location  4550 South Jordan River Parkway, at the Freedom Shrine
    GPS  N 40° 40′ 28.0″ , W 111° 54′ 30.8″

    In October, 1849, under the leadership of Dan Jones, a Welsh company entered the Valley. Later, a few settled a farming community along the river a short distance north of here. They were not adept at farming so the settlement was abandoned with many going to Sanpete County to mine coal and settle the town of Wales.

WEST JORDAN CITY, UTAH

  • Salt Lake & Utah Railroad (SUP #35)
    Sponsor  Jordan River Temple Chapter, 1990
    Location  80th S 18th W, West Jordan, Utah
    GPS – N 40° 36' 25.02" , W 111°56' 34.62", elev. 4404 ft.

    Better known as the “Orem Line,” the Salt Lake & Utah Railroad extended south from Salt Lake City along 1800 West, through West Jordan and on to Payson for sixty-seven miles. A nine-mile branch line serviced Magna. By 1916, twenty trains ran daily to Spanish Fork. Following World War I, the Salt Lake & Utah Railroad began to suffer and ended services in June 1946.
     
  • Utah–Idaho Sugar Company (SUP #12)
    Sponsor  Jordan River Temple Chapter, 1986
    Location  West Jordan City Park

WEST VALLEY CITY, UTAH

  • Struggle for Water, West of the Jordan River (SUP #71)
    Sponsor  Oquirrh Mountain Chapter, 1996
    Location  West Valley City Park

    In 1848, Joseph Harker built a dugout along the west bank of the Jordan River at about 3300 South and a dozen families moved in to the area of 45th South and Redwood Road. A dam built at Jordan Narrows and the South Jordan Canal, excavated from 1870– 1875, brought the first water to Granger. After years of construction, Salt Lake County’s longest and largest canal, the Utah & Salt Lake Canal — 32 miles from Jordan Narrows to Magna — provided Hunter its first water in 1881.