Utah – Cache County
Temple Fork Sawmill (SUP #63)
Sponsor – Temple Fork Chapter, 1993
Location – Logan Canyon at Junction of Highway 89 and Temple Fork Road
The Temple Fork Sawmill began operation in 1876 and ran until 1884. It produced more than 2.5 million board feet of lumber, some of which was used to construct the Logan Temple. It also produced 21,000 railroad ties, 90,000 laths, 2 million shingles, 50,000 pickets, broom handles, and charcoal.
The Great Fur Cache (UPTLA #55)
Sponsors – Boy Scouts and Explorer Scouts of Cache Valley Council, Boy Scouts of America and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1938
Location – 30 West Center Street. Hyrum, Utah
This monument was erected to commemorate an important episode in the early history of the west, and to honor the scouts and explorers of early days. In this vicinity in the winter of 1825-26, a cache containing 75 bales of furs, mostly beaver, with a value estimated at $150,000 was made by James Bridger, Jedidiah Strong Smith, William L. Sublette and others, who had come west with General W. H. Ashley. Later most of the furs were taken by pack train and water to fur markets at St. Louis.
Birthplace of Pioneer Pilot Russell L. Maughan (SUP #32)
Sponsor – Temple Fork Chapter, 1990
Location – 133 East Center St., Logan
Russell’s grandfather, Peter Maughan, crossed the plains with the Mormon exodus, and later founded the first settlement in Cache Valley, now Wellsville. Russell served as a fighter pilot in France in World War I and a colonel in the Eighth Air Force in Britain in World War II. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross and the Distinguished Flying Cross. On June 23, 1924 he became the first person to fly coast to coast in the United States in one day, from dawn to dark. This flight was from Miller Field in New York to Crissy Field in San Francisco.
Cache Valley (UPTLA #2)
Sponsor – Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association and Logan City Welfare Committee 1931
Location – 50 North Main, on the LDS Tabernacle Grounds.
James Bridger led the first trappers to a winter encampment near here in 1824. Known to the Indians as Willow Valley, Cache Valley was renamed by fur trappers and traders in the winter of 1825 - 1826. Towards December 1825, William Sublette, in charge of Gen. William H. Ashley's mountain men, ordered many of the season's furs cached in this vicinity. Those interested in the furs, awaited General Ashley's merchandise caravan of 1826. Similar caravans in subsequent years, involved William I. Sublette, James Bridger, Jedediah S. Smith, Thomas Fitzpatrick, Etienne Provost, Robert Campbell, James P. Beckworth, David E. Jackson, Louis Vasquez, Jean Baptiste Gervais, Moses Harris, and many others.
First Community Center (UPTLA #63)
Sponsors – Explorer Scouts of the Logan Fifth Ward and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1935
Location – 480 North 400 East, Logan, Utah
The first community center of the Logan Fifth Ward was built thirty feet east of this spot during the winter of 1865-66, under the leadership of Bengt P. Woolfenstein. Consisting of but one room 16 by 20 feet, it served nevertheless as Church building, amusement hall and school house, William G. Cole being the first teacher. At that early date, eager for religious, social and educational growth, the Ward united upon the project -- a humble symbol of the cooperative spirit of the Mormon Pioneer. Even boys of school age helped men with teams get the logs from Green Canyon. The original key has been made a part of this marker, affixed to a stone from the foundation of the old house.
First Settlers of Logan (UPTLA #9)
Sponsor – Citizens of Logan, May 6, 1909 - the tablet was provided by Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1932
Location – 50 North Main, on the LDS Tabernacle grounds.
The first settlers of Logan encamped near this spot on the bank of the Little Logan River early in May 1859. Heads of families are listed on the tablet, in memory of these pioneers and others who followed during that year.
Logan Temple Marker (SUP #G-1)
Sponsor – Temple Fork Chapter, 1984
Providence Pioneers (UPTLA #110)
Sponsor – Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1947, moved to a new free-standing monument by The Providence Pioneer Monument Inc. 2009
Location – Main and Center Streets, Providence, Utah – near the street at the NW corner of the Old Rock Church Bldg.
This marker honors the first settlers of Providence, who camped near here early in May 1859, and those who followed in the years 1860, 1861, and 1862. Included in the groups who pioneered this section were the following families: Alder, Bowen, Busenbark, Baer, Campbell, Clifford, Clark, Cranney, Dee, Durfey, Fuhriman, Flemming, Fife, Gates, Gassman, Greenback, Hafter, Hansen, Harmon, Hoth, Hug, Hall, Kresie, Lau, Low, Lane, Loosle, Maddison, Mathews, Naef, Nelson, Poulsen, Rammell, Rice, Stucki, Sperry, Sueifel, Theurer, Traber, VanLouevan, Williams, Wright, Zollinger.
Ira Merrill (SUP #M)
Sponsor – Smithfield Chapter, 1958
Location – Smithfield Park, next to Library on Main Street.
Returning from the hills east of Smithfield with a load of brush, Ira Merrill was killed in 1860 by indians. Hostilities between the indians and the pioneers began near the site of this marker.