Utah – Davis County
Original Gristmill Stones (SUP #31)
Sponsor – South Davis Chapter, 1990
Location – 905 South Orchard Drive. (Corner of Orchard Dr. and Mill St.)
Under the leadership of Heber C. Kimball, the North Canyon Ward erected a flourmill that began operation in the fall of 1853. For a number of years, all baptisms in Bountiful took place in the mill pond excavated on the south side of the mill. During the excavation of a Davis County debris catch basin, the two original gristmill stones were uncovered -- still in good condition. They are on display with this monument next to the Daughters of Utah Pioneers' replica of the old mill.
Daniel Davis (SUP #45)
Sponsor – South Davis Chapter, Bountiful Centennial Committee and Lloyd Davis Family, 1992
Location – 905 South Orchard Drive, at the site of the original Gristmill.
Daniel Davis was born in Massachusetts, and as a young man traveled to Nauvoo, where he was converted to the LDS Church, and adopted into the Heber C. Kimball family. When the Saints left Nauvoo, Heber C. Kimball assigned Davis to assist in building Winter Quarters, at Council Bluffs, Iowa. He reached Salt Lake Valley in 1848. Heber C. Kimball desired to erect a flour mill. Davis cleared the land, laid a cornerstone, and upon completion assumed management of the mill. The three-story mill was then the largest in Utah Territory.
George Quinn McNeil (SUP #46)
Sponsor – South Davis Chapter, Bountiful Centennial Committee and Roy McNeil family, 1992
Location – 905 South Orchard Drive, at the site of the original Gristmill
George Quinn McNeil was born in Bountiful, Utah, and lived on the family farm on the southeast side of Bountiful City. He assisted Daniel Davis at the grist mill located on this site. McNeil captured bears in the mountains above Bountiful City, which were trained to do work around the mill and also taught to pull McNeil's wagon.
Heber C. Kimball (SUP #44)
Sponsor – South Davis Chapter, Bountiful Centennial Committee and the Heber C. Kimball family organization, 1992
Location – 905 South Orchard Drive, at the site of the original Grist mill
Heber C. Kimball was born in Vermont in 1801. He was converted to the LDS Church in 1832, and was called to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in 1835. He led the first missionary thrust to England during the 1830's, which resulted in much Church growth. He arrived in the Salt Lake Valley with the first group of Mormon pioneers. In December 1847, he became Brigham Young's first counselor in the First Presidency of the LDS Church. By 1849 he had become the first chief justice of the provisional State of Deseret, and the State's lieutenant governor, and was involved in many important events in the Utah Territory and the Church. Kimball owned property and had family at this site. He felt a need for a flour mill in an area dominated by grain production, and decided to build here. Water to run the mill was stored in a pond that was excavated on its south side. Kimball died on June 22, 1868 in Salt Lake City.
Jeremiah Willey Cabin (SUP #110.3)
Sponsor – South Davis Chapter, 2001
Location – Seventh South and Main (Bountiful City Park)
Jeremiah Willey migrated to Bountiful in 1851. He built this log cabin in 1854. Later it became home for his descendants and other families, and underwent several additions. A later owner built around the original cabin and expanded the size of the home. Later, the home was donated to the South Davis Hospital. As the structure was being torn down, the cabin walls were found behind lath and plaster. The only visible part of the cabin had been a painted log and mortar portion. In reality, the cabin had been encased in a time-capsule for the past half century. In 1992 Bountiful City moved the cabin to the city park, and the Bountiful area Daughters of Utah Pioneers provided the furnishings. In 1868 Jeremiah Willey was accidentally drowned while crossing Barton Creek by his home, and is buried next to his wife, Samantha Call, in the Salt Lake City Cemetery.
Marriott Ward (SUP #24)
Sponsor – South Davis Chapter, 1989
Centerville Pioneer Monument (SUP #66)
Sponsor – Centerville Chapter, 1994
Location – 300 North Main (West side of Founder’s Park).
This monument was dedicated to the faith, sacrifice, and deeds of the early settlers of Centerville. Their memory is revered with profound gratitude. Sculptured by Dee Jay Bawden, the monument is placed atop a five-foot base made of cement and faced with stone. In loving detail the monument depicts a pioneer family typical of the early pioneers of Centerville, whose suffering, diligence, and faith in the cause that brought them here made this a choice land. On the front of the base is a plaque, “Memorial to Centerville Pioneers,” giving some of the early history of Centerville. A second plaque on the back of the base entitled, “Our Heritage,” continues the early history of Centerville. On the sides of the base are plaques listing names of pioneers and others honored through contributions used to build the monument.
Grist Mill, Anson Call (SUP #93)
Sponsor – Centerville Chapter, 2000
Location – 610 East 100 North, Centerville (by flood control basin on Centerville Creek).
GPS – N 40°; 54' 58.4" W 111° 52' 8.5"
In 1854, Anson Call of Bountiful erected a Grist Mill on the south side of Deuel Creek just southeast of this marker. The mill was a three-story building made from Centerville Canyon rock, with the machinery on the top floor. The miller kept a portion of the grain as his pay. The power to turn the grinding wheels was generated by water flowing down Deuel Creek, which ran from two holding ponds on the hillside above the mill and then to a water wheel that turned the drive shaft. The larger pond also served as a baptismal font, for swimming and winter ice production. The mill was demolished in 1944.
Pioneer Village (SUP #P)
Sponsor – Sons of Utah Pioneers, 1961
Location – Pioneer Village at Lagoon
Original 1857 Pioneers, first location on Conner St.
Sons of Utah Pioneers Members, on 10-ton granite block (SUP #N)
Sponsor – Temple Quarry, Chapter, 1959
Location – Lagoon Pioneer Village
In 1959 the Temple Quarry Chapter symbolically transported a 10-ton granite block to the old Pioneer Village — the same size stones moved by the pioneers to construct the Salt Lake Temple. The plaque on the block lists the Temple Quarry chapter members.
Stage Coach Station (UPTLA #36)
Sponsor – DUP and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1934
Location – 128 South Main Street
On this spot stood the Layton Stage Coach Station on the Utah-Idaho-Montana (Virginia City) Trail. It was established in 1857, by Ben Holladay, and carried mail and passengers between Salt Lake City and points north and west. Isaac Brown was the original keeper. Later it was operated by Wells Fargo Co. The Prairie House nearby was built by Christopher Layton in 1857, to accommodate stage coach passengers. When the railroad was built the stagecoach line was discontinued. The station was closed in 1870.
The Kington Fort (SUP #128)
Sponsor – Ogden Pioneer Chapter and South Weber DUP, 2006
Location – 475 East 6650 South, South Weber, Davis County, Utah, just off exit 85 of Interstate 84, near the Posse Grounds.
GPS – N 41° 08.808´, W 111° 58.137´
The Kington Fort, a 645 by 645 foot enclosure, was built on this site in 1853 to protect early settlers from Indian attacks. When no attacks occurred, the fort was deserted in 1858. In early 1862 the fort was occupied by Joseph Morris, an excommunicated member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, who had founded a church commonly known as The Morrisites. In a clash with local authorities, the army was called in. The ensuing battle resulted in the deaths of eleven persons, including Morris and his second-in-command, John Banks. Some followers scattered to other areas, and some were re-baptized into the LDS Church and remained in the South Weber area.