Utah – Iron County
The Dominguez and Escalante Expedition (SUP #19)
Sponsor – Refurbished by Cedar City SUP Chapter, 1988
Location – 4.5 miles west of Cedar City on Hwy 56, on north side of highway.
On July 29, 1776, Catholic Fathers Dominguez and Escalante led an exploration party of ten horsemen from Santa Fe, New Mexico to establish an overland route to Monterey, California. As the Padres traveled along the Beaver River in early October, they were unable to find a passage through the mountains. Their Indian guide had deserted them to return home. With supplies running low they realized that they were now at the mercy of winter storms. But some members of their party were reluctant to give up their hopes of reaching California. In order to restore unity they searched God’s will by casting lots, and the result was a decision to return to Santa Fe. Escalante was greatly impressed with the possibility of settlements in Cedar Valley. Although the explorers never reached California, they covered some 2,000 miles of challenging terrain, adding greatly to the knowledge of the geography of the American Southwest, the potential for settlement and the native inhabitants.
Old Irontown (UPTLA #60)
Sponsors – Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association and Members of Parowan Stake, 1936.
Location – Old Irontown State Park, twenty miles west of Cedar City on Highway 56.
Established in 1868 by Ebenezer Hanks and other organizers of the Great Western Iron Manufacturing Co., a cooperative enterprise. Officers were Ebenezer Hanks, President, Homer Duncan, Vice President, Seth M. Blair, Secretary. A railroad was moved here from Nevada to haul coal from Cedar Canyon to “Little Pinto” the name given to this townsite. Eight hundred pounds of iron of good quality was produced each 8 hours, the plant running day and night. The enterprise was taken over in 1883 by the Iron Manufacturing Co. of Utah with George Q. Cannon, President, Thomas Taylor, Vice President and manager, John C. Cutler, secretary.
CEDAR CITY, UTAH
Cedar Fort (SUP #60)
Sponsor – Daughters of the Utah Pioneers. Monument rebuilt by SUP Cedar City Chapter, 1992
Location – At the Old Iron Mission Fort, 1342 West Industrial Road, Cedar City, Utah.
GPS – N 37° 41′ 17.02″ W 113° 05′ 05.30″
In November 1851, thirty-five men from Parowan settled Cedar City. A unique temporary encampment composed of their wagon boxes and sagebrush walls sheltered them through the first winter. In 1853, a fort 100 rods square was built on this site. Its walls were three feet wide at the base, nine feet high, and one foot wide on top. It covered sixty-three acres. A City Plat of 120 lots was laid out inside the walls. This monument stands on the southwest corner of the fort, beside the John D. Lee gate. A large block of iron ore from the iron mines west of the city is located next to the monument.
Ellen Pucell Unthank (SUP #38)
Sponsor – Cedar City Chapter, 1991
Location – 400 West 200 South.
Ellen (Nellie) Pucell was born November 6, 1846 in Tintwhistle, England. At 9 she, with her parents and sister Margaret (Maggie), 14, began the trek from Iowa to Salt Lake Valley in 1856 with the Edward Martin Handcart Company. Early snows overtook the company. Both Nellie’s parents died on the trail. Nellie’s feet were frozen. On arrival in Salt Lake Valley, she was strapped to a board. No anesthetics were available. Both her legs were amputated just below the knee with a butcher’s knife and carpenter’s saw. For the rest of her life she moved about on the painful stubs of her legs. At 24 in Cedar City she became the plural wife of William Unthank. She gave birth to 6 children. Her bishop and Relief Society occasionally brought food to her family. To even the score, once a year she and her children cleaned the meeting house throughout. Nellie died at 65 in Cedar City.
The Founders and Old Sorrel Statue
Sponsor – Cedar City Chapter, 1986
Location – 351 W. Center St.
The first State Legislature following Utah’s statehood authorized a branch of the state’s teacher training school to be located in Cedar City. On January 5, 1898, a group left Cedar City for a saw mill 35 miles away to cut logs for the new building. The men worked in 40 degree-temperatures and their first attempt to return to Cedar City was engulfed by a record snow storm. An old Sorrel horse, placed out at the vanguard of the party, is credited with saving the expedition by walking into the drifts, pushing and straining against the snow, throwing himself into the drifts again and again until they gave way. He would pause for a rest, sitting down on his haunches the way a dog does, and then start again. It took two and a half days to get a load of logs down from the mountain tops to Cedar City.
The Founders’ Rescue Wagon
Sponsor – Southern Utah University and Cedar City Chapter, 1986
Location – Near Sharwin Smith Student Center, SUU campus.
The group of men intent on hauling out the lumber from Heber Jenson’s Saw Mill, had to abandon the lumber due to the heavy snow. Five men remained on the mountain to dig out the wagons while others returned to town for help. Digging through the drifts, the men worked their way home and arrived in Cedar City on January 11, with the first load of lumber. The Branch Normal School had been rescued. This recently restored original wagon was one of several used to haul logs from the forest to the saw mill.
The Old Iron Foundry (UPTLA #30)
Sponsor – Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association and the Chamber of Commerce of Cedar City, 1933
Location – 250 North Main in Cedar City Park.
The iron foundry, erected by direction of Brigham Young in 1851-2 one block north of this monument, produced the first iron manufactured west of the Mississippi River. Thirty-five men, the founders of Cedar City, constructed and operated the blast furnace. They established the first mining camp in Utah a few miles west of here, from which they procured the iron ore. The foundry was operated for 8 years at a cost of $1,000,000. Ore used in this monument was hauled here from the mines by pioneer workers. The pig iron bars in this structure were made by them.
The Old Mill (SUP #8)
Sponsor – Cedar City Chapter, 1984
Location – Mouth of Cedar Canyon, East Highway 14
In 1876, the Cedar Co-op Mill was built as a large, three-story wooden building with grinding stones turned by water from Coal Creek. The mill ground flour, cereal, and livestock feed for much of Iron County. The mill changed to a plaster mill from 1934–1945.
Paragonah Fort (UPTLA #61)
Sponsors – Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association and the People of Paragonah, 1936
Location – In front of LDS Chapel
Paragonah City was founded in 1852. The site was selected and dedicated by President Brigham Young. Indian troubles caused its abandonment a year later until 1855, when the Pioneer Fort was built. The Fort was 105 feet square with walls 3 feet thick at the base. A second story was added in 1857. A large room served as Church, School and Amusement Hall. Homes were built around the inside of the wall. The Paragonah public square includes the site of the Fort, which was torn down in 1879.
John C. Fremont (SUP #X)
Sponsor – Little Salt Lake Chapter, 1972
Location – 100 South Main
Seeking a suitable railroad route through the central Rockies, John C. Fremont and Company reached Parowan on February 6, 1854 barely alive. The Mormons took in the company and fed and nursed them back to health.
Parowan Cotton Factory
Sponsor – Little Salt Lake Chapter
On this site, in 1862 the first Cotton Factory was erected in the West; designed and operated by William Marsden and owned by Ebenizer Hanks. Here the first ball of Cotton Yarn was made west of the Mississippi River. The girls who worked in the Cotton Factory are listed.
Pioneer Sundial (UPTLA #62)
Sponsors – Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association and the People of Parowan, 1936
Location – 100 South Main Street.
Parowan City was founded January 13, 1851 by settlers from northern communities under the leadership of George A. Smith. Among the early structures were a large Liberty Pole and a sundial. This marker designates the site of the community sundial placed here in 1852. The base of this structure is a burr from the pioneer grist mill. This sundial is a reproduction of the original made by the pioneers of Parowan. The Liberty Pole was one block south.