Dance Hall Rock (SUP #0)
Sponsor  Sons of Utah Pioneers, 1959
Location  Approximately forty miles SE of Escalante, Utah, along the road to the “Hole in the Rock.” 

The San Juan Expedition to settle the Bluff area took a route stopping at various springs, about a day’s journey apart, from Escalante toward Hole-in-the-Rock. One of the most noted springs was Forty-mile Spring. About a mile and a half before reaching Forty-mile Spring and Camp, was a place called Dance Hall Rock. This huge sandstone formation is so constructed as to constitute a large amphitheater with a relatively smooth floor. Pioneers of the Forty-mile camp held dances at the “Hall” and thus gave it its name. With three fiddlers in the company to supply music, several pleasant evenings must have been spent in this way. (reproduced from the book “Hole In The Rock” by David E. Miller, U. of U. Press 1959, 1966.)

Hole-in-the-Rock Arch (UPTLA #132)
Sponsor  Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association 1957

The naming of this Arch honors the Historic Trek of the Mormon Pioneers called by Brigham Young to colonize San Juan County in 1879-1880. Also known as Window Rock Arch.

Hole-in-the-Rock Crossing (UPTLA #81 [moved by SUP])
Sponsors  Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association and SUP Hole-in-the-Rock Chapter.
Location  65 miles southeast by unimproved road from Escalante, Utah, or 28 miles southwest by boat from Bullfrog Marina.
GPS  N. 37° 15', 23.32" W. 110° 54' 01.71" elevation 4332 ft.

This monument was originally located at the edge of the Colorado River, but was moved to the top of the gorge by the SUP Hole in the Rock chapter when Lake Powell was created in 1963. Mormon Pioneers, from settlements in southern Utah to San Juan Valley in southeastern Utah, crossed the Colorado River at “Hole-in-the-Rock on January 16, 1880. During the winter of 1879-80 six weeks had been required to blast and construct the ¾ mile “road” down the cleft from the top of the gorge to the river. During construction, men were lowered in barrels to hand-drill and place powder charges. During the descent, with wagon wheels “ruff-locked” the hubs scratched deep scars in the rock walls. Eighty wagons plunged and skidded down the “impossible” cleft and ferried the river here. The ascent up the other side, over steep, slick rocks was equally difficult and hazardous, and the long trek over trackless desert to their new home was equally exhausting. A total of 250 men, women and children were in the party, and hundreds of horses and cattle. No wagons were lost and no one was seriously injured. This route from the Four Corners area of Utah, through the Hole-in-the-Rock, was used by early settlers for several years thereafter.

Johnson Canyon Cemetery (SUP #56)
Sponsor  Red Rock Chapter, 1992
Location  Thirteen miles east of Kanab

The settlement of Johnson began in 1871 by four sons of Ezekiel and Julia Hills Johnson. From 1871–1918 the town grew with a school, post office and store. Eventually the last permanent residents moved to Kanab in the 1940s. This monument honors the earlier settlers buried at Johnson.

Pioneer Trail Dixie-Long Valley, Utah (SUP #118)
Location  On Hurricane Hill, Highway 59 at Hurricane trailhead

Segments of the old Indian trails between St. George and Long Valley were used by Mormon pioneers to settle Long Valley in 1864 and again in 1871 following Indian conflicts. The desert trail, about 85 miles long, traversed deep sand, sandstone ledges and lava faults and was the primary transportation route, including mail and heavy freight, for half a century. It took four days for loaded wagons drawn by horse or ox teams to travel the distance.

Pioneer Trail  Dixie-Long Valley, Utah (SUP #119)
Location  On the Arizona Strip at Cane Beds intersection of Highway 389 and Mohave County Road 237

The trail divided the area of this marker; the Elephant Trail took a northeasterly route while the alternate Cottonwood Canyon-Sand Ridge Trail went more easterly before joining the Elephant Trail after it descended into Parunuweap Canyon/Long Valley.

Pioneer Trail  Dixie-Long Valley, Utah (SUP #120)
Location  Highway 89,.25 miles south of the Mt. Carmel, junction in Kane County, Utah

The trail divided east of present-day Colorado City, Arizona; the Elephant Trail took a northeasterly route while the alternate Cottonwood Canyon-Sand Ridge trail went more easterly before joining the Elephant Trail after descending into Parunuweap Canyon/Long Valley.


Fort Kanab (UPTLA #115)
Sponsor – Descendants of Levi Stewart and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1950
Location – 100 North and 300 West, Kanab, Utah, Levi Stewart Memorial Park

Levi Stewart had been called from Salt Lake County by President Brigham Young to head a group of pioneers in settling this area. On June 14, 1870 he arrived with a party in seven wagons in Fort Kanab, which had been built a year before by Jacob Hamblin and Indian missionaries. The Kanab Ward was organized September 11, 1878, with Elder Stewart as Bishop. Other settlers arrived, homes were built and plans made for a permanent community. A fire in the Fort on December 14, took the lives of Mrs. Margery Wilkerson Stewart and five sons.

Jacob Hamblin (UPTLA #21) (Plaque)
Sponsor – Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association and the Citizens of Kanab Stake, 1933
Location  100 North and 300 West, Levi Stewart Memorial Park.

This great Mormon Pioneer Frontiersman and missionary was born April 2, 1819 and died August 21, 1886. He settled in Tooele Valley, Utah in 1850 and began peaceful negotiations with the Red Men. He was so successful that the officials of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints sent him to establish residence among the Indians at Santa Clara, Utah in 1854. A fort was erected on this site in 1865 into which he moved in 1869. He assisted Maj. J. W. Powell and party 1869-72. He was transferred in 1878 to Arizona, and later to New Mexico. He is buried at Alpine, Arizona. His friendship with the Indians saved many lives.