Birdseye Marble Quarry (SUP #P-1) Sponsor–Palmyra Chapter, 1990 Location–About seven miles south of Thistle Junction (U.S. Highways 6 and 89), adjacent to highway 89, just east of Birdseye LDS Ward Chapel.
Looking east to the red ledges you can see the quarry originally operated by the Mormon Church and others from the 1880s to 1940s. Trade names included Nebo Rock Works, Thistle Rock Works and Birdseye Marble Quarry. Stone from the quarry is in the Utah State Capitol, Mormon Chapel in Washington, D.C. and the Lincoln Memorial.
Little Diamond Fork Battle –Black Hawk War (SUP # 145) Sponsor – Dimmick Family and Maple Mountain Chapter, 2008, (old monument refurbished) Location – Diamond Fork, Spanish Fork Canyon, next to Palmyra Campground GPS – N 40° 04' , W 111° 26'
On June 26, 1866, a small group of settlers and Indians fought a battle. The settlers claimed the Indians had stolen cattle and pursued them to this point. Two settlers, Albert Dimmick and John Edmundson, and several Indians were killed. The battle was fought two miles northwest of this monument.
Fairfield – Camp Floyd – Fort Crittenden (UPTLA #82) Sponsor –Citizens of Fairfield and Lehi, Oregon Trail Memorial Association and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1939. Location – Camp Floyd and Stagecoach Inn State Park, Fairfield, Utah.
In 1855, Fairfield was settled by John Carson, William Carson, David Carson, William Beardshall and John Clegg. This monument is at the entrance, at the southeast corner of a rock fort four rods square, erected in 1856-7. Camp Floyd, adjoining Fairfield on the south and west, was established July 4, 1858 by Brigadier General Albert Sidney Johnston and the Utah Expeditionary Forces, numbering about 3,000 men. This force had some to Utah to suppress the so-called "Mormon Rebellion." Colonel Philip St. George Cooke succeeded in command March 1, 1860 and changed the name to Ft. Crittenden Feb 6, 1861. In 1860 the population, including soldiers was 7,800, making this Utah's third largest city. The fort was abandoned July 1861. An Overland Stage Station was established in 1859 was operated until 1868. A Pony Express station operated here from April 3, 1860 to October 26, 1861. This station was 539 feet east and 210 feet north of the monument. This monument was built of rocks from the barracks and guard house of Camp Floyd, the Fairfield Fort wall and Indian hieroglyphic rocks from 5-mile Pass.
Philip S. G. Cooke: Mormon Battalion Company (SUP #Q) Sponsor –Temple Quarry Chapter, 1962 Location –At Camp Floyd and Stagecoach Inn State Park. GPS – N. 40°15' 09.90" W. 112° 05' 56.29"
Col. Philip St. George Cooke commanded the Mormon Battalion on the greater part of its historic march during the Mexican War. Cooke was an impartial friend, humanitarian, and a soldier unequivocally loyal to the Union. When Federal troops entered Utah in 1858, he helped establish Camp Floyd as their headquarters. From August 1860 to July 1861, he served as the commanding officer of the military department of Utah, earning the respect of the Mormon people. When the Civil War broke out, and John B. Floyd, U.S. Secretary of War, became one of those who defected to the South, the name of Camp Floyd was changed to Fort Crittenden. General Albert Sydney Johnston, leader of the army invading Utah, also joined the South. Col. Cooke received orders via Pony Express in May 1861, to abandon the Fort. He later was given the rank of Brigadier General.
The History of the Lehi Sugar Factory (SUP #139) Sponsor–Lehi Chapter, Blue Bell Camp DUP, Civic Improvement Association of Lehi, 2008 Location–850 South Millpond Road (850 East)
The Lehi Sugar Factory was built by the Utah Sugar Company in 1891, with the first sugar being produced on October fifteenth of that year. 556 farmers had grown 1500 acres of beets that year. The next year they grew 1800 acres. The factory employed 135 men and could process 300 tons of beets a day. In 1896 the factory set a record for processing 435 tons in a single day, and for the entire campaign of 1898 they processed 36,000 tons of beets, a new record. In 1899 and 1900 the factory was remodeled to double its capacity. In 1915 the factory was again remodeled and the 184 foot high smokestack was added. This was the peak production year for the plant. It processed 131,401 tons of beets and produced 18,737 tons of granulated sugar. In 1921 the workers went on strike to protest the 12 hour work day. Thereafter the plant ran three 8-hour shifts. Two diseases affected beets in this area; nematodes (round worms), and “curly top” from white fly infection. The last year of production was 1924. Beets were still raised in this area for many years but shipped to other locations to be processed into sugar. The warehouse built in 1914 was used to store bags of sugar for many years. After the warehouse was no longer used, the property sat idle until 1979 when it was sold. In 1996 the smokestack was remodeled into a cell phone antenna tower.
This marker commemorates the ancient, beloved old "Lehi Meeting House" built in 1855 which served the community and church for 96 years.
Pioneers of Lehi (UPTLA #118 and SUP #A) Sponsors– Lehi Centennial committee and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1950 Location –1300 South Saratoga Rd.
The Pioneers of Lehi settled in this vicinity in the fall of 1850. Thirteen families located at Sulfur Spring, later Snow's Spring, forty rods east of here, where a Fort was begun. Another group formed the Lott Settlement, to the southeast. Others located nearby. The following year, most of the families moved to higher ground on Dry Creek, selected in July 1850 by Canute Peterson and six companions and established Evansville, named for Bishop David Evans. By legislative enactment, February 5, 1852 the "City of Lehi" was incorporated. It included the area between Utah Lake and the north foothills. The name Lehi was taken from the Book of Mormon. This monument was erected as a part of Lehi's centennial celebration.
Old Pleasant Grove Fort (UPTLA #133) Sponsor –Timpanogos District Explorer Scouts and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1958 Location –300 South 200 East
In 1853 because of Indian troubles, Brigham Young instructed the pople to build forts for protection. A rock wall, two feet six inches thick and from three to five feet high and four city blocks square, was built here. Private homes faced the center of the fort. In the center four blocks were situated the barns and a community corral. Culinary water was carried in flumes.
Utah's First Indian Battle (UPTLA #56) Sponsor –The Adult Aaronic Priesthood of the Timpanogos Stake and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1935 Location –300 East 100 North Street.
The first battle between Indians and the Utah Pioneers occurred in February 1849, two miles east of this monument, near the mouth of the canyon. Involved were the Deseret Militia and the Indians. The stream and canyon were named "Battle Creek" from that encounter
Dan Jones, Welch Missionary (SUP 58) Sponsor –Sons of Utah Pioneers, 1993 Location –Provo, Utah LDS Missionary Training Center
This large, original oil painting by artist Clark Kelley Price entitled: “Dan Jones Awakens Wales,” was donated to the LDS Church by the Sons of Utah Pioneers and is on display at the Missionary Training Center in Provo. Captain Dan Jones is pictured preaching the gospel to people in a south Wales village in the early 1850s. As prophesied by the Prophet Joseph Smith, Jones was instrumental in the conversion and immigration to Utah of several thousand Welsh Saints.
Escalante Trail (UPTLA #1) Sponsor –Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association 1931 Location –100 South Main, Provo Courthouse Grounds.
Fray Francisco Silvestre Velez De Escalante and Fray Francisco Atansio Dominguez, two Catholic Priests of the Franciscan Order accompanied by their attendants (listed), encamped near here September 24 and 25, 1776 to open a wider field for mission work among the Indians. They were seeking an overland route from Santa Fe New Mexico to Monterey California. These Priests were the first white men to enter what is now the State of Utah and the first to give us a written record of the geography of the country and the character of its people.
Old Tabernacle Lintel Stone (SUP #18) Sponsors– George Albert Smith Chapter and Daughters of Utah Pioneers, 1954 Location –In front of the DUP Museum in North Park, 600 North State Street, Provo.
This sandstone lintel capped the front entrance of the Provo Tabernacle. Apostle John Taylor dedicated the building on August 24, 1867. The George Albert Clark family donated the lintel stone to the Sons and Daughters of Utah Pioneers of Provo for preservation. It was placed at the site on July 24, 1954.
Settlement of Provo in 1849 Sponsor –George Albert Smith Chapter July 14, 1941 Location –Sowiette Park ( North Park ), Approximately 600 North on 500 West.
Provo was settled by Mormon Pioneers March 12, 1849. The original small “ Fort Utah ” was immediately constructed at about 150 North Geneva Road in west Provo. East of this monument a second fort was built in April 1850. It was here that the settlers were threatened with massacre by Chief Walker and his band of Indians, but Walker was deterred and the settlers saved by the stern warning of the older chief, Sowiette, “When you attack you will find me and my braves defending.”
SPANISH FORK, UTAH
Pioneer Cemetery (SUP #R1) Sponsor –Palmyra Chapter SUP and Daughters of Utah Pioneers, 1991 Location –Spanish Fork Canyon Road at 1400 East, turning South.
The monument honors 49 people buried from 1851 to 1866 in the first cemetery in Spanish Fork.
The Pioneer Mother (UPTLA) Sponsors–DUP and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1932 Location–50 South Main Street, Springville.In honor of the noble women who braved the wilderness.