Utah – Weber County
Indian Trails Monument (SUP #i-1)
Sponsor – Ogden Pioneer Chapter, with BSA Council, 1984
Location – Summit of North Ogden Canyon.
GPS – N 41° 19.226´, W 111° 53.925´
Indian bands of the Shoshone Tribe wandered from area to area on a network of well traveled trails throughout the region. Pathfinders, trappers and explorers, including Peter Skene Ogden, followed the well worn Indian trails through Utah Territory. Brigham Young sent exploring parties north and south along the Indian trails west of the Wasatch Mountains to locate places for settlements. This monument identifies the five Indian Lodge Trails that radiated from Ogden Valley with maps and detailed information on the many explorations along these trails.
Pioneer Trail: Stoney Point Lookout (SUP #94)
Sponsor – Ogden Pioneer Chapter, 2001
Location – Accessible by trail from the Indian Trails Monument (above) - about ½ mile east.
GPS – N 41°19' 20.1", W 111° 53' 08.2", elevation 5552 ft
This plaque explains the pioneering venture over North Ogden Pass into Ogden Valley. This area was first called “New Hole” by early trapper, Peter Skeen Ogden, and later “ Ogden 's Hole. The trail and lookout offer a view of the entire upper valley, Pine View Reservoir, and the towns of Liberty, Eden and Huntsville.
Jefferson Hunt (SUP #H)
Sponsor – Jefferson Hunt Chapter, 1995
Location – Old Town Square, at 7400 East and 200 South Streets, Huntsville, Utah.
GPS – N 41° 15.622´, W 111° 46.206´
Jefferson Hunt was converted to Mormonism in 1834. Migrating with the Mormons, he was commissioned a captain in the Mormon Battalion. Hunt and his family settled in the Salt Lake Valley in 1847. In 1851 he was called to help create the Mormon settlement in San Bernardino, California. He was a brigadier general in the California State Militia and a California State Assemblyman. He founded Huntsville, Utah in 1860 and was a representative to the Utah Territorial Legislature in 1863.
Captain James Brown (UPTLA #112)
Sponsor – Descendants of Captain James Brown, Citizens of Weber County and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1947
Location – Ogden Municipal Park, 2459 Washington Boulevard.
Captain James Brown, Pioneer, soldier and one of the founders of Ogden, Utah He enlisted in the Mormon Battalion of the U. S. Army in the Mexican War, July 16, 1846, at Council Bluffs, Iowa, and was made Captain of Company C. At Santa Fe, Captain Brown was placed in charge of the sick detachment and ordered to Pueblo where they spent the winter of 1846-47 with a group of converts to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints enroute from Mississippi to the Salt Lake Valley. In the spring he marched his men by way of Fort Laramie and the South Pass, arriving in the Salt Lake Valley July 29, 1847, closely following Brigham Young’s vanguard company. Early in August Brown went to California to collect the Army pay due members of the Battalion. Returning late in 1847, he stopped at the Fort of Miles Goodyear, a trapper, located near the junction of the Ogden and Weber Rivers. From Goodyear he purchased for $3,000 all of the land now comprising Weber County, together with some livestock and the Fort. This entire area being at that time a part of Mexico, the land was conveyed to Captain Brown in a Mexican land grant. In January, 1848, he settled here with his family and began the colonization of Brownsville, later named Ogden. He was born September 30, 1801 and died September 30, 1863.
Jedediah Strong Smith (UPTLA #3)
Sponsor – Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1931
Location – 2549 Washington Blvd. – Ogden City Municipal Park
Smith was an outstanding explorer, trapper, trader and devout Christian. He came to Utah with Wm. H. Ashley’s Expedition in 1824. Started first successful overland journey through Utah to the Pacific Coast from this vicinity August 22, 1826. Substantially the same route was later followed by the main highway to Los Angeles.
John C. Fremont (UPTLA #33 & #1933)
Sponsor – Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association and BSA Vanguard Troops 516 Ogden 12th Ward, Oct. 2, 1933
Location – At the highest point of Little Mountain, west on 12th St., Ogden, 10½ miles west of the intersection with 1900 West (Hwy 126) and 12th St. (Hwy 39)
GPS – N 41° 15′ 17.2″, W 112° 14′ 19.5″.
The location is now on a military (Air Force) reservation and is available only by escorted visit.Pathfinder, scholar and political leader, John C. Fremont and a party of four, with Kit Carson as guide, viewed the Great Salt Lake and made geographical observations from this point, September 6, 1843. They explored western Weber County while camped on the Weber River, and explored the nearest island, (now Fremont). Fremont rendered valuable service in establishing the claims of the United States to the territory between the Missouri River and the Pacific Ocean through exploration trips in 1842, ’43 and ’45. His report and maps published in 1845 contained the first detailed information regarding this territory. This report was of great assistance to Brigham Young and the Mormon Pioneers on their journey westward in 1847.(Note) Text “corrections” were made from the original plaque, the plaque number changed to 1933 instead of the original number 33, no longer included the buffalo skull logo of the Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, and a new plaque reinstalled by the National Honor Society of Fremont High School, May 18, 1996.
John Henry Weber
Sponsor – Ogden Pioneer Chapter, 1992
Location – Ogden City Park, Washington Blvd., Ogden, Utah.
GPS – N 41° 13.217´, W 111° 58.275´
In 1823, John Henry Weber led the first party of American trappers across the continental divide. By a circuitous route, Weber and his trappers arrived in Cache Valley by the summer of 1824. That same summer, Jim Bridger, a member of the Weber party, discovered the Salt Lake. Later that fall, Weber led his party of trappers to the river which now bears his name.
Lorin Farr (UPTLA #45)
Sponsors – Ogden Stake Mutual Improvement Association and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1937
Location – The southeast corner 21st St. and Washington Boulevard.
Lorin Farr, 1820 - 1909, was a Pioneer religious and civic leader. He was a Utah Pioneer of 1847. He was a friend and staunch supporter of Joseph Smith, the Prophet, and assisted in the settlement of Nauvoo, Illinois, where he helped build the LDS Temple. He was the first President of Weber Stake of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a member of the first Territorial Legislature and a member of the convention that framed the constitution of the State of Utah. He assisted in laying out the original plat of the City of Ogden, organized the first city government and became its first mayor. He built and operated the first grist mill and saw mill in Weber County and, with others, constructed the first highway through Ogden, Canyon. Tullidge, a contemporary Utah historian, proclaimed him "Ogden's most representative citizen."
Lorin Farr (UPTLA #113)
Sponsors – Descendants of Lorin Farr, Citizens of Weber County, and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1947
Location – Ogden Municipal Park, 2549 Washington Blvd.
Lorin Farr, Utah pioneer of 1847, one of the founders of Ogden, established Farr’s Fort in 1850 and assisted in laying out the city and organizing its first government. In 1851, he became the first Mayor, serving twenty-two years, twenty years without pay. The deed to Ogden was made by Ulysses S. Grant, President of the United States, to Lorin Farr as Mayor. In 1850 he built Weber County’s first sawmill and grist-mill, and with others in 1868, built the first woolen factory in northern Utah . In 1857, with Newton Goodal and others, he built the first road through Ogden Canyon. Under his direction Weber County was surveyed and irrigation canals and roads were built. He was a leading contractor on the Central Pacific Railroad west from Ogden to Promontory.Civic and religious leader, Lorin Farr was a staunch friend and supporter of the Prophet Joseph Smith, assisting in the settlement of Nauvoo, Illinois, and in building the Temple. He came to Utah with Brigham Young in 1847. In January 1851, he became the first President of the Weber Stake of Zion, serving until 1870. He directed the building of the Ogden Tabernacle in 1855-56. He was a member of the first Territorial Legislature for thirty years, serving longer than any other member, and was a member of the Convention that framed the Constitution of the State of Utah. A friend to the Indians, he was known among them as “Chief”. Upon the approach of Johnston’s Army in 1858, the “move south” was conducted under his direction. He was a statesman and colonizer of great ability. Historian Edward Tullidge proclaimed him “Ogden’s most representative Citizen.”
Miles Goodyear Cabin (UPTLA #41)
Sponsors – Weber County Camp, Daughters of Utah Pioneers and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1934
Location – 2150 Grant Ave., next to DUP Museum and Ogden LDS Temple.
This cabin, built about 1841 by Miles Goodyear, is (as far as is known) the first permanent house built in Utah. It stood near the junction of the Ogden and Weber Rivers. In 1848 it was sold to Captain James Brown of the Mormon Battalion with a Spanish Land Grant which covered all of Weber County. It was preserved by Minerva Stone Shaw and was presented by her to the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers, Weber County Chapter, who placed it on its present site.
Ogden Canyon Toll Gate( UPTLA #44)
Sponsors – Troop 12 Ogden District, Boy Scouts of America and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1934
Location – At the mouth of Ogden Canyon - Valley Dr. and Canyon Rd. - on the east end of the north parking lot of Rainbow Garden.
805 feet north of this site was located the toll gate established November 15, 1860 by Lorin Farr and Isaac Goodale, builders of the first road through Ogden Canyon. From 1865 to 1882 it was operated by the Ogden Canyon Road Company with the original builders and John Taylor as principal stockholders. James Dinsdale was gate-keeper for fourteen years. It became a public road February 20, 1882.
Original Pioneer Settlers of Weber County (SUP #133)
Sponsor – Ogden Pioneer Chapter 2007
Location – Plaque located in second floor hallway in the Ogden City Municipal Bldg. Nineteen names are listed for the Original Pioneer Settlers of Weber County who arrived with their families in 1848.
Pierre-Jean DeSmet (UPTLA #72)
Sponsors – Utah State Council Knights of Columbus and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, 1937
Location – Lester Park, at southeast corner of 24th St. and Jefferson Ave.
DeSmet was a priest of the Society of Jesus 1801-1873. A courageous Missionary to the American Indians 1838-1868. Father DeSmet became well acquainted with the region of the Great Salt Lake, and gave much valuable information to Brigham Young and the Mormon Pioneers while they were at Winter Quarters, Nebraska in 1846.
SUP Pioneer Handcart
Sponsor – Ogden Pioneer Chapter, 1999
Location – DUP museum, 2150 Grant Ave., Ogden, UT.
GPS – N 41° 13.686 W 111° 58.368.
This handcart was found in an antique shop in Bellevue, Iowa, purchased by the Ogden Pioneer Chapter and restored by Julius Geilman. It is believed to have been used by pioneers on their journey west, then used by missionaries when they returned east on their missions.
Union Station Golden Spike (UPTLA #120)
Sponsor – Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association, Union Pacific Railroad Company, Southern Pacific Company, Golden Spike Celebration Committee of Ogden, 1951
Location – Union Station, 25th Street and Wall Avenue."
Weld the Past to the Present to Enrich the Future." This monument is a grateful tribute to the builders of America's first transcontinental railroad completed May 10, 1869, when the Golden Spike was driven at Promontory Summit, Utah, 53 miles northwest of Ogden. The monument was dedicated May 10, 1951, to honor those pioneers who built better than they knew, and to encourage for all time the same joy of doing.
Early Weber College Campus & Moench Building (SUP #104)
Sponsor – Ogden Pioneer Chapter and Weber State University, 2001
Location – About 2465 Jefferson Ave. across the street from the entrance to the Weber County Library.
GPS – N 41° 13.273', W 111° 57.898'
The monument identifies the location of the former Weber College Campus, near downtown Ogden, which occupied most of this city block until 1954. The monument is placed near the location of the Moench Building, the earliest and most identifying building on the old campus. The building remained there until it was torn down in 1970, even after the campus was moved to the east bench above the city where it is today as Weber State University.